Should Mom be able to make it?

Mod, is there any way you can get her credit card away from her?

Without that CC, she is limited in the amount of damage she can do.

ha

HaHa,
That is a qestion that we all need to know:confused:?? Getting credit cards out of thier hands.

How is this done? Can we write and threaten, demand cancellations?

Good question.

I don't think you can get a CC cancelled without power of attorney. Even then if you manage to get it cancelled Mom (in my case Aunt) could easily get another.

I'm afraid these things have to play out on their own. :-\ At some point, less or no financial intervention is best. Who could have more caring family members than modhatter and Caroline?

BUM,
The problem with CCs is that they will allow 5-10K charges to sit there at 18% interest and the card holder paying just the penalty.

Isn't there some law that demands fairness in these cases.

Could a card holder just cut it up and say, "go ahead, try to collect".

My 18 year old nephew moved in at UNC this weekend. He got 2 credit cards during the first day.

OldAgePensioner said:
BUM,
The problem with CCs is that they will allow 5-10K charges to sit there at 18% interest and the card holder paying just the penalty.

Isn't there some law that demands fairness in these cases.

Could a card holder just cut it up and say, "go ahead, try to collect".

My 18 year old nephew moved in at UNC this weekend.  He got 2 credit cards during the first day.

My parents have never owned a credit/debit card in their lives. That's
a problem I won't have. Anyway, a credit card is a like a gun, just another
tool unless it falls into the wrong hands.

JG

BUM said:
I don't think you can get a CC cancelled without power of attorney. Even then if you manage to get it cancelled Mom (in my case Aunt) could easily get another.

I'm afraid these things have to play out on their own.  :-\  At some point, less or no financial intervention is best.   Who could have more caring family members than modhatter and Caroline?

I now have POA for just about everything, but loath to use them.
For one thing my father has always been very prickly about money.
For another, I know how I would feel about giving up control,
plus I'm basically a control freak anyway. Nope, the POAs will only
be used as a last resort.

JG

I agree. For most of us the POA is used as a last resort when mom and pop can't manage their own affairs.

I dunno, OAP. The CC companies know about their customer's rights and they play that up to the max. Its a fight for sure.

As already mentioned the car insurance needs a look.
Of course the hot check fees are really a waste. Possibly your bank or another would have some sort of program where you can avoid the fees.  Ours rolls to a credit card if one bounces. Of course that may open other doors with problems.
I'll bet if you laid out every food receipt for a month some thrift ideas would jump out at you.  I realize you would need some cooperation to do this.
Re food stamps, would it be possible for you to use the card on her behalf given that she will not?
I commend you for your efforts. :) Good luck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom