Skellig Michael in Ireland

DrRoy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am working on a plan for visiting Ireland, and one place of interest is the island of Skellig Michael. There are tours that take a boat around it, and others that let you out on the island to walk around. A key interest is in photography there. My preference is to travel from late April to early May for good weather, wildflowers, and more moderate times of sunrise and sunset. The landing tour for the island does not start until mid-May, later that I really want. If anyone has experience there, should I do my trip at the later time to get the landing tour, but with possibly more rain?

I am working on a plan for visiting Ireland, and one place of interest is the island of Skellig Michael. There are tours that take a boat around it, and others that let you out on the island to walk around. A key interest is in photography there. My preference is to travel from late April to early May for good weather, wildflowers, and more moderate times of sunrise and sunset. The landing tour for the island does not start until mid-May, later that I really want. If anyone has experience there, should I do my trip at the later time to get the landing tour, but with possibly more rain?

Rain is simply a given in Ireland, every day. So I wouldn't even think about trying to minimize it.
If you have your heart set on Skellig Michael, then go for it when you can (and may the Force be with you), but there were so many other amazing similar places in that part of the country, including the Aran Islands, that I didn't feel bad at all about not going there.

I went to Skellig Michael in 2017. It was an amazing experience and I would suggest you try to land on the island. Circling the island on a boat would not be the same. Keep in mind you reserve a spot on the boat and the boats don't run during bad weather. If your ride is cancelled, it does not roll over to tomorrow.

This is not your first trip to Ireland, or is it?

I guess you already know that the Republic of Ireland is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean. If the weather is bad, those tours are getting canceled 10 minutes before scheduled departure.

It won't matter if it is summer or winter.
Are you flexible regarding the island?
I would go for the Aran Islands.
There you will find wildflowers, sheep, horses, birds, also stone age old stuff. On a rainy day - you can stay in Galway.
If you get stranded on the island, check into a hostel and talk with a Kiwi about New Zealand or Australia.
I spend a couple of years living in Ireland, Cork and Dublin.
You are the first who ever talked about Skellig.
Take some cash with you. Not all rural Irish Shops/Hostels support credit cards.
April/May should be fine.
Have a good time :dance: and enjoy Irish dancing :cool:

Back
Top Bottom