Smooth top electric range-best choice for cookware

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Yes I know gas is better, but not an option in my new house.

The place came with a brand new smooth top (not induction) electric range.

Any recommendations for frying pans? Something that won't warp.

Is heavy guage better? Aluminum? Cast iron?

Opinions, please.

We use both cast iron and aluminum non-stick frying pans on the glass-top stove all the time with no problems. We just got some new Tramontina non-sticks and they are thicker than our old one so they take longer to heat up, but seem much sturdier and probably more even heat distribution.

We have several TFal aluminum, and DW's collection of old classic Revere Ware. All work fine. Yes, flatness is a concern if one does not make good contact. All of ours do. Somewhere we have a cast-iron fry pan, it hasn't been out for years, but no heating issues with it when we did. I'm just answering as an observer - DW is a great cook and fantastic baker. I can hold my own boiling water and melting ice :D

I think this article provides a good selection of frying pans. Of course there’s always the balance between high cost and lower cost. I doubt the eggs taste any different no matter what you spend. I had a glass cooktop for years and they don’t really require anything special. I had some pans that weren’t as flat as I would have liked, but they worked just fine. What issues I had were with them not being flat and nothing to do with the heat source. Any good pan today is going to work just fine on a glass top.

Personally, I’d go for a heavy duty stainless steel pan but most people like a nonstick pan.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/packages/shopping/product-reviews/best-nonstick-frying-pans

I use some old Calphalon and some new SS. I prefer some good SS. Definitely would not use cast iron on a glass/ceramic top stove. It is just too heavy for me to place down gently especially if it has food in it. I would be concerned with cracking the top. I only use cast iron in the oven occasionally when making bread or beans.

Most any frying pan will warp if it is not treated carefully while heating up. I do most of the cooking but when my wife puts a pan on the stove she tends to just turn the burner to the highest heat setting. Not good.
I also refuse to buy non-stick and have never had a problem with food sticking once I learned how to use the cookware properly. You may be more comfortable with non-sticking cookware. Some is better than others so i would research the brands.

Cheers!

I bought my wife a set of Cuisinart cookware recently, and highly recommend it. But I do not like stainless steel skillets because they stick. And unfortunately I can no longer use my many cast iron skillets (100 years old) on the glass top. I also no longer use any anodized aluminum cookware because it cannot go into the dishwasher.

I just bought my wife a pair of non-stick Cuisinart skillets for Christmas at Amazon, and we're now good.

Copper clad stainless steel works fine.

... And unfortunately I can no longer use my many cast iron skillets (100 years old) on the glass top...

Cast iron works fine on a glass stove top as long as it's not the kind that has a raised ridge around the edge on the bottom.

When we moved and ended up with a smooth top stove 18 years ago, the two pieces of cookware that couldn't make the transition were the traditionally shaped wok that sat on a metal ring over a gas burner; and the cast iron griddle that covered two stove burners. We donated the wok and got a flat bottomed one made for electric stoves. The griddle got relegated to the camping equipment where it still gets used.

Cast iron works fine on a glass stove top as long as it's not the kind that has a raised ridge around the edge on the bottom.

You're right. Most of my cast iron has the ridge and was inherited from my grandmother who bought it in 1913 from a local stove works.

We had to replace our cooktop recently, and my wife is so particular about that glass top. i have to use a glass cleaner on it nightly to keep it like new. I'd hate to put a scratch in it with cast iron.

The cast iron has been retired to the oven for cooking cornbread in. My wife's a cornbread artist--no sugar thank you.

Would you consider carbon steel? It has a lot of the properties of cast iron, but is lighter, and is flat on the bottom. I love 'em.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom