So what does your annualized rate of return YTD look like now? heh heh

Animorph

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Quicken reports a rate of return year-to-date for one of my funds at -99.99%! I guess it won't go below -100% or I might have done worse for a few funds.

My full retirement portfolio is showing -70.57% annualized rate of return year to date. So lets hope this trend doesn't continue all year!

(yeah I know this is pretty meaningless, but it does show the other side of annualized returns over short periods of time than last year's partial year numbers, which were at least positive.)

Dan

Not even gonna look.
Nope, won't do it.
Wouldn't be prudent....

Quicken reports a rate of return year-to-date for one of my funds at -99.99%! I guess it won't go below -100% or I might have done worse for a few funds.

My full retirement portfolio is showing -70.57% annualized rate of return year to date. So lets hope this trend doesn't continue all year!

(yeah I know this is pretty meaningless, but it does show the other side of annualized returns over short periods of time than last year's partial year numbers, which were at least positive.)

Dan
? what do you have your $s in? 100% REITs? A -70% return sounds like a 'going out of business' strategy to me. Not criticizing , just curious.

I don't gamble in Vegas, buy lotto tickets...
or put $$$ in tulips or stocks. :angel:

? what do you have your $s in? 100% REITs? A -70% return sounds like a 'going out of business' strategy to me. Not criticizing , just curious.

VTI (total stock market index) had dropped almost 4% in three trading sessions, if we assume this trend continues for the remaining 250 odd trading days of the year I think we are looking at about 95% decline.

For the record I am moderately bullish on the market, I think the recession fears are already price in. But what do I know!

My asset allocation is slice and dice, similar to the FundAdvice.com equal amounts of everything recommended portfolio, plus some bear market hedges. I'm down about 1.5% for the few days year to date. -70% is only what happens if I keep losing 1.5% every few days for the rest of the year. I'm not going to worry about that.

We had a few threads about annualized returns last year where they were fairly high, so I thought I'd stir the pot again while they look really horrible. They really only make sense when talking about periods longer than one year. Although it is a fairly useful number when looking at money market funds for partial years, since they are fairly constant and use an annualized interest rate to describe current performance.

It is fun to play with the numbers to get a better feeling for them

Dan

The annualized rate of return YTD for my overall portfolio is -59%.

REITs, small caps, mid caps and the riskier international stocks are all at about -90%! But:
International Bonds +150%!
Gold and silver +900%!
and Prudent Bear Fund +8300%!!!!!!!!

Meaningless especially so early in the year but with the big drop in the first few trading days this year it makes for some interesting numbers!

My asset allocation is slice and dice, similar to the FundAdvice.com equal amounts of everything recommended portfolio, plus some bear market hedges. I'm down about 1.5% for the few days year to date. -70% is only what happens if I keep losing 1.5% every few days for the rest of the year. I'm not going to worry about that.

We had a few threads about annualized returns last year where they were fairly high, so I thought I'd stir the pot again while they look really horrible. They really only make sense when talking about periods longer than one year. Although it is a fairly useful number when looking at money market funds for partial years, since they are fairly constant and use an annualized interest rate to describe current performance.

It is fun to play with the numbers to get a better feeling for them

Dan
lol I see. I did not realize that you guys were taking 4 days of running out for the whole year. You guys have too much time on your hands.

annualized rate of return YTD? Why referring to annualized YTD when we are only 4 days into 2008?

Back
Top Bottom