Software or Website to consolidate Net Worth Profile

I spent almost two years looking at every product on the market available for individuals, and was dissatisfied with all of them. Many didn't allow for custom investments to be added. Some didn't recognize unusual securities like preferred stocks or baby bonds. Some didn't provide the data I wanted or needed. Some didn't deal with bond ladders. The ones that automatically consolidated from multiple institutions made me nervous because if hackers get into the software that performs the consolidation, theoretically that could access every financial account. Yikes.

So, I slowly built my own spreadsheet over time. I created one main data entry page for every holding, with whatever information I had or wanted for that security. Then I created charts, tables, and calculations for whatever I wanted to see. It's become a pretty sophisticated but simple to understand view of my financials.

I decided to update the data manually, both for better cybersecurity, but also it allows me to become really in tune to the movement of prices. That gives me a pretty interesting perspective of how my holdings are doing versus market indexes.

For some of the data I wanted, I had to create some numerical approximations to get a "roughly right" view. For example, to create my bond ladder, I used bond ETF's, CD's, and individual bonds. I wanted to project yields to maturity for the ladder, and also see current yield and distribution yield. I wanted to see the maturity dates of the ladder. But, the calculations for that when you have bond ETF's gets very complex and is just a continuously changing approximation since bond ETF's are constantly resetting the duration. But, you can get it close enough. So, I built a roughly right ladder tool that gives me a snapshot in time whenever I go in and upate the data. It's very comforting knowing, for example, that my current ladder has a yield to maturity over 5%. I know how much "matures" each year, taking into account the duration and maturity date of my ETF's and individual bonds or CD's.

I update my data according to a schedule. Every week or few weeks, I update security prices. That gives me a solid view of equity vs fixed and other deeper category information. Every year I update equity holdings by S&P sector to give me a view of holdings vs "the market" by S&P sector. I update dividend rates, bond projected yields to maturity, and distribution yields every few months, and that gives me a rough view of yearly distributions from the porfolio.

So I only have to spend 15-25 minutes every few weeks to get a nice snapshot, then maybe an hour once or twice a year to get snapshot views of other data. I have a summary page of all sorts of data, like:

1. Holdings by major asset class (equity, fixed, cash, alternative assets).
2. Holdings by taxable status (pre and post tax) by asset class (cash, fixed-CDs, fixed-bonds, fixed-private debt, equity-common stock, equity-preferred stock, alternative-VC, PE, Other, alternative-Real Estate.
3.Net Worth.
4. Ratios - Equity/Fixed, Bond quality, years of short-term investments, domestic/foreign stock, large/mid/small cap stock %, investment grade vs high yield bond %, government vs corporate bond %, etc.
5. Further subcategories of investments, like foreign broken into emerging market vs developed, etc.
6. Investment themes - $ in investments based upon a particular theme, like healthcare or actively managed ETF's, etc.
7. Equity by market cap and growth vs blend vs value, or by sector.
8. Projected after tax income yearly.
9. Projected total returns, projected distributions.
10. Tax efficiency.
11. etc.

It's a pretty darn good tool. But it took awhile to build.
I did something very similar for my fixed income holdings since I could not find anything commercially available that handled individual bonds and preferred stocks which are over 95% of my portfolio. Similiarly, I have a data sheet with a row for each holding and then separate sheets that draw off the data sheet to provide a maturity distribution, quality distribution, summary by account, summary by type, call info and a handful of pivot tables that summarize the data in different ways (by account, by type, by issue, by maturity year, by YTM, by rating, etc.)

The maturity distribution includes both actual maturities by year and target maturities based on a 7-year ladder for bonds and a graph of actual and target that shows me where the gaps in my ladder are that I use as a guide for when I'm buying.

I also have a dashboard page with key metrics like weighted average yield (5.54%), weighted average maturity (3.8 years), credit quality (63% A or better, 97% investment grade) and % callable (45%). The metrics also draw from the data sheet but I copy and paste the metric values into a new row with the date every so often so I can see a history of how my metrics have changed over time.

SInce my portfolio is intended to be held to maturity I don't update it for prices but I can easily get fair values from Schwab.

I have so little common equities that I don't bother doing any analyics on them.

I update the data sheet at least once a month manually.

Built my own google sheet over the past decade. Gives me more insight then I think I could have ever got from an FA. I built a pizza tracker to make sure Actual debt paydown, and equity gains will match Expected.

Data is constantly changing. I just heard there is rumor that SS FRA will be bumped from 67, to 70. It's a factor we now have to consider, so back to updating "the sheet", lololol.

As other's mentioned I update the DIV monthly when I chime into the FIRE Annual Performance Thread. One of the highlights of my month lol. Collecting things that I otherwise never would have known to collect.
Same here. Been using a Google sheet for more than 10 years.

Personally, I would never give my credentials to my assets, especially a service and worse yet, a service online. Any online service can get hacked. I just would never do this but that is my personal decision.

Personally, I would never give my credentials to my assets, especially a service and worse yet, a service online. Any online service can get hacked. I just would never do this but that is my personal decision.
Route246, you don’t use Online banking and you write checks for all your expenses?? I guess that’s one way to minimize getting hacked.

I recently broke up with my Financial Advisor (yes, you can congratulate and cheer for me). Now I am looking for a platform to view my investments across multiple institutions. Also have the ability to look at Asset Allocation across the portfolio to give you a sense of your equity to fixed income split and concentration of holdings.

The Advisor had eMoney, which was kinda handy to be able to look at accounts with Brokerage, Banks, 401ks etc. Plus the ability to add other assets like home, credit card or other debt/assets. Having a retirement calculator built in would be great too!

A long time ago, I used Personal Capital (now Empower), which may be a good substitute. Are there any good free platforms? Any worth paying a small fee?

Lastly, if you are reading this and my title is not descriptive of my actual ask, please advise so I can edit.

Thanks in advance!
Free has its price!

I've built my own Excel solution (kludgy thing) to render everything I need from a monthly reporting of totals. I haven't added home or cars, it's just invested money.

My son has built various Sheets solutions to do similar reporting.

I completely avoid the concept of giving my authorization credentials for investing accounts from one site to another. But that is entirely up to the end user, and you see that opinions on that differ.

Keep in mind that free solution(s) don't go on forever. They may break, or incorrectly classify an asset, and on and on.

Each month I log in to a few sites, and download csv files. Then I open and consolidate the summary numbers I need. I only collect the grand total and sub-totals down to fund level. This is the bare minimum I've settled upon after a long time.

This month I decided to pull pdf monthly reports (I was late in collecting EOM data) and manually copy and paste totals as described above. It took much more time, mainly because of how the investments were assigned classes.

I realize it would be great if some omniscient robot could do all of this for me, but then I would be violating my oath of office, "What is Measured is Managed."

Fidelity owns EMoney and Fidelity Full View is basically a bare bones version of E Money.

Note that Empower Dashboard, Vanguard, Fidelity, Bank of America, and tons of others all use Yodlee for aggregation, so there should be little difference in that function.

I can look up just about everything I need with the exception of values of fixed income stuff like MYGAs and CDs (which I have to calculate by hand.) Not interested in doing anything on line which gives more opportunity for hacking but YMMV.

Route246, you don’t use Online banking and you write checks for all your expenses?? I guess that’s one way to minimize getting hacked.

Actually writing checks is a way to make it easy to get hacked. A check has everything needed to steal money from a person in unlimited amounts and it is passed all over a company when paying something.
A check has: bank, accnt #, signature, name, often address, etc..

........ I don't need to get down in the weeds for every last dollar. Two decimal places is fine for me, which comes out to $X.Y million, where tax-deferred, taxable, and Roth accounts are all included at nominal values.

I do track my net worth, but also just need to know the total value of each account, and value of other things..
I also just record the value once per year.
I do this to see the long term changes, and I record the official inflation amount, so I can see the net "true" increase in purchasing power over the years.

I use a spreadsheet and I enter the numbers manually. I’d rather not use an online tool.

Note that Empower Dashboard, Vanguard, Fidelity, Bank of America, and tons of others all use Yodlee for aggregation, so there should be little difference in that function.
Yet Fidelity syncs 100% properly with my accounts and Empower can't figure out my 401(k), my checking, and uses the wrong sign when dealing with my credit card (the more I charge the richer I get!)

Like Manu here I have my own spreadsheet that slices and dices the data the way I want.

Now that I am fairly well consolidated, I can use my brokerage sites for most of what I need.

I download and consolidate my holdings in detail usually once or twice a year to evaluate portfolio balance, etc.

It would be nice to have a better interim view of things, but I find my desire to build and manage spreadsheets has waned over time, possibly because that effort would not add much to what I am doing already.

I use Quicken but just for expense tracking.

Back
Top Bottom