solar powered 110v battery backup

GrayHare

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We're enough in the boonies to have frequent outages of one to six hours duration while the power company fixes a line downed by a falling tree or similar. Do there exist portable/draggable battery backup units that recharge via solar panel and output 110v? It would be handy to have something that could power small appliances, a computer, or similar for a few hours, and recharge itself via sunlight.

Costco and other places usually have one on sale this time of year.

One year it was a 3000 watt-hr goal zero with 400 watts of panels for about $2200 or thereabouts. A decent deal considering that would run a fridge for several days.

looks like costco has a 1000 watt -hr energizer one with 200 watts of solar for $400 off ($999)

If you really just need a few hours to run something small (e.g. PC, router, cell phone charger, etc) You might just need something like this. It charges while you have AC power and depending on the "draw" can easily last a few hours when you main power is out. Less than $100 each for a small one like in the picture. (I've got two) If you need more power or longer lasting they make bigger ones. Also great surge protection. That is unless you just want solar.

files

https://www.apc.com/us/en/product-range/61883-backups/?parent-subcategory-id=88975

Last edited:
Do there exist portable/draggable battery backup units that recharge via solar panel and output 110v? It would be handy to have something that could power small appliances, a computer, or similar for a few hours, and recharge itself via sunlight.

Google Jackery.com or take a peek at their products on Amazon. There are some small 1kw units that might work for you.

There are also copycat / clone products too.

_B

thanks, all, for good keywords to search, yes, now I'm finding devices that look interesting, feedback welcome from those who have used these devices

To power computer and cell phones and some LED light bulbs, a solar generator and some panels will work.

However, a constraint is the power small appliances.. they suck a LOT of power.
Please define this better as it's critical.
For me, a simple drip coffee maker is a no-no. Uses too much juice.

Easier would be to get an inverter propane powered portable generator. I say propane as then no fuel storage issues, and easier maintenance as no worry about old gas. Will provide a lot more electricity.

If you are determined on solar, then need a spot with 100% sunlight all year at minimum 4 hours per day. A solar generator of at least 2,000 Wh, and solar cables (~$1/foot) in 10 AWG, and solar panels amounting to 400W (important to know limit of the solar generator for panel input).
Also note, a lack of sunny days and night means no solar generation.

Last edited:
Now that I see there are 1000 watt and higher solar generators, it seems feasible to add a microwave oven to the list of small appliances to be powered. That's a large draw but only a short duration.

Now that I see there are 1000 watt and higher solar generators, it seems feasible to add a microwave oven to the list of small appliances to be powered. That's a large draw but only a short duration.

Our microwave outputs 1,000 watts.... but it takes in a lot more to output that amount of juice. It uses 1,800 watts of juice.

we have a goal zero yeti 3000x

It will run any microwave since it has a 2000 watt inverter built in. I guess it would run one for about 1.5 hours continuous.

I have run coffee makers on it while camping (well, Keurig k-cups) and found I could brew about 60 cups of coffee and keep our compressor cooler going over the weekend on one full charge of the Yeti.

3,000W AC Pure Sine Wave Inverter (6,000W Surge)
3,072Wh Capacity (Expandable w/ up to 4 × B300 for 12,288Wh)
LiFePO4 Battery with 3,500+ Life Cycles to 80%
240V Split Phase Bonding ( With *2 AC300 & *2 B300 )
24/7 UPS Home Backup
7 Ways to Recharge (AC/Solar/Car/Generator/Lead-acid Battery/Dual AC/AC+Solar)
2400W Max. Solar Input
5400W Max. Fast Dual Charging (Solar + AC)

https://www.bluettipower.com/produc...YmQF0FtoEYqwxghnTkd5ChDET1L345c4aAh_DEALw_wcB

I am with the others who say go with a generator...

If you only need it where you are there, a portable one...

If you want it to go on when you lose line power you need an automatic.. more expensive...

For some small things, the UPS for computers... it is what I use for my phone and TV system... only need it long enough for the generator to kick in... you can get a solar panel etc to charge them up on your own if you really want to..

All the solar devices will need to have the batteries replaced eventually -- sometimes sooner than you may expect.

I also prefer the small quiet gasoline inverter generator for this purpose -- in my case the venerable Honda EU2000i. It has been serving me great since the great power outage of 2003.

If you don't want a dedicated unit, you could also try hooking a plain automotive inverter or two to your car/truck battery and running the engine to keep everything going. You may need to respect the electrical power output limits of your vehicles alternator, however.

Also if you investigate having multiple sources like this, keep them on separate circuits because in general they will not be in phase and therefore connecting them would "let the smoke out" in a hurry .

-gauss

Last edited:
Our microwave outputs 1,000 watts.... but it takes in a lot more to output that amount of juice. It uses 1,800 watts of juice.

We had picked up a Habor Freight 2000WT inverter generator instead of carrying our larger generator, and it wouldn't run our 900WT microwave . We have a Champion 3200 inverter generator that will power everything we need in the house, and portable enough to carry camping or for other stuff.
One thing to consider is the sunshine... Your looking at something for outages during storms, and how much sun is out at that point?

I also prefer the small quiet gasoline inverter generator for this purpose -- in my case the venerable Honda EU2000i. It has been serving me great since the great power outage of 2003.

Agree. I have an EU2000i. It’s plenty in a power outage except it’s not going to run an air conditioner (which isn’t a problem). The only thing that would make it better is if there was a duel fuel option to be able to use propane.

The main thing I do to keep it reliable is use non-ethanol gas and run it dry after using it. But still, propane would be better.

Back
Top Bottom