Something in DW's eye.

MRG

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Many months ago DW felt she had something in her one eye. I couldn't find it, eye cup wouldn't remove it. Went to a local optometrist who couldn't find anything and said that'll be 50 bucks.

She ignored it for a while and then it bothered her worse and went to the only other local optometrist. He was much more interested but couldn't find anything in her eye. He did put on a zero strength contact to wear for a couple days saying sometimes they'll catch something.

While she's wearing the contact, its pretty good. Within a day or two of removal whatevers caused her issues comes back. Yesterday she mentioned that she can't see through part of her eye when her mysterious "eyelash" moves on her pupil. I'm pretty sure I'd have seen an eyelash and both optometrists too.

Well 5 contacts later it's still bothering her and she's complaining more frequently about the vision loss. She's requested a referral to an Opthamologist in a larger town. What else should we be doing? Who should we be talking to? Any ideas?

A good ophthalmologist will take care of it.

But in the meantime you might try some lubricant eye drops (just OTC, there are lots of brands). Dry eyes can sometimes give odd symptoms like that.

Many months ago DW felt she had something in her one eye. I couldn't find it, eye cup wouldn't remove it. Went to a local optometrist who couldn't find anything and said that'll be 50 bucks.

She ignored it for a while and then it bothered her worse and went to the only other local optometrist. He was much more interested but couldn't find anything in her eye. He did put on a zero strength contact to wear for a couple days saying sometimes they'll catch something.

While she's wearing the contact, its pretty good. Within a day or two of removal whatevers caused her issues comes back. Yesterday she mentioned that she can't see through part of her eye when her mysterious "eyelash" moves on her pupil. I'm pretty sure I'd have seen an eyelash and both optometrists too.

Well 5 contacts later it's still bothering her and she's complaining more frequently about the vision loss. She's requested a referral to an Opthamologist in a larger town. What else should we be doing? Who should we be talking to? Any ideas?

Sounds like she might have something embedded on the inside of her lid.

Have her see an ophthalmologist ASAP.

omni

Sounds like she might have something embedded on the inside of her lid.

Have her see an ophthalmologist ASAP.

omni
Thanks. We're patiently waiting for a call. I do know the Optometrist ran a qtip all over her eyeball and eyelids. She said it was very unpleasant.

She's using the OTC eyedrops too.

Ophthalmologist appointment asap.
Diagnosis without examination is malpractice.

If the regular (liquid) eyedrops don't give relief, try the gel type. There is a huge difference, according to DW (who uses them regularly).

Oh, dear, I would have been on my ophthalmologist's doorstep right away! I'm surprised the optometrist(s) did not advise you to see the eye doctor for a medical exam. Eye dr's have special mirrors, lenses, etc. for special exams.

This sounds like an eye emergency to me. DH had an eye problem similar to the OP's spouse, started losing vision in one eye. Went to his optometrist who examined the eye and immediately said he needed to see an ophthalmologist right away. The optometrist called an ophthalmologist and got DH an appointment the same day. Turned out DH had a bad eye inflammation and was put on steroid drops, it took several months but he finally got his vision back. The ophthalmologist said that if DH had not gotten fast treatment he could have permanently lost his vision in that eye and told DH if he ever had a similar problem to come in immediately, to call for an emergency appointment.

If it were me I would try for an emergency appointment. I would be calling every ophthalmologist in my area to get an emergency appointment ASAP. To me vision loss is a real emergency.

Does she rub her eyes a lot? She might have scratched the cornea or there is some other irritation on the surface that requires medication. Hope she gets looked at soon and gets some relief.

Sounds like a scratched cornea. I got an exfoliating grain from face wash in my eye. Went to work. Complained about it. Military office folks. They demanded I go to the eye dr. He fished it out with a qtip but I had a scratch. Had to treat with eryhthromycin gel stuff (this is spelled horribly). The bonus is you put it in your eye and you can TASTE IT. Or alteast I could. YUM!

I've used chia seeds to good effect in my eyes: just put a few in the inside corner of the eye. Seems like it would feel horrible as it is, though a tiny seed, very visible in place. Thing is, the chia seed creates a gel when it gets moisture and that gel collects and traps dirt or grit. The seeds either can't be felt or are soothing. I just leave 3-5 in the corner of my eye and go about my business. After a time I wipe the chia out and continue life.

I've used chia seeds to good effect in my eyes: just put a few in the inside corner of the eye. Seems like it would feel horrible as it is, though a tiny seed, very visible in place. Thing is, the chia seed creates a gel when it gets moisture and that gel collects and traps dirt or grit. The seeds either can't be felt or are soothing. I just leave 3-5 in the corner of my eye and go about my business. After a time I wipe the chia out and continue life.
I knew those chia pets were good for something.

That is kind of weird , asked my son who works for one of the larger Vision clinics here in Houston . he made a comment , the Optm. should have seen something if there was something . He explained there could be other physical factors , diabetes , BP kidney function and other things . He said an Opth. would have known this though they take a picture of the eyeball . I guess it is visible . He said if they did not mention this probably everything is fine.

Last edited:
That is kind of weird , asked my son who works for one of the larger Vision clinics here in Houston . he made a comment , the Optm. should have seen something if there was something . He explained there could be other physical factors , diabetes , BP kidney function and other things . He said an Opth. would have known this though they take a picture of the eyeball . I guess it is visible . He said if they did not mention this probably everything is fine.
Thank you very much.

That's where I'm at. Something physical should have been detected. I believe the second optometrist has done an excellent job of seeing and testing anything physically relevant on multiple visits.

She's waiting on an Opthamologist to call her from a referral. Her last Opthamologist appointment was 5 years ago, which scares me right now. All her recent regular blood work was in line.

We're in a semi-remote area. The closest Opthamologist is 60 miles away. Next closest is in another state(out of coverage), or we can go 5 hours to Colorado Springs. Of course she still needs an appointment.

Thank you for your help. I'm hoping to hear from the referral as they should have all the recent records.

The ophthalmology group where I go has an "on call" doctor who will see anyone for an emergency appointment at any time. That's important for things like a detached retina. You should be able to find such a service, maybe by asking hospitals. Best of luck.

MRG-I am in year two of recovery from an Optomitrist screw up. If I were you I would literally get in a car and drive to where you think the Opthamologist is and get a hotel room. Be at their doorstep when they open in the morning. This is specifically an emergency. DO NOT wait any longer.

My Son's group do all of the NASA astronauts. I have used them and they are great. Sad to say they found out our nephew had diabetes from an eye exam.

MRG-I am in year two of recovery from an Optomitrist screw up. If I were you I would literally get in a car and drive to where you think the Opthamologist is and get a hotel room. Be at their doorstep when they open in the morning. This is specifically an emergency. DO NOT wait any longer.

DO THIS! Not sure why you are even talking about it. It's like logging on to the internet and asking about chest pain.

"Something in DW's eye"

Smoke gets in her eyes?

A few years ago I was using a grinder while replacing the floorpans in my car. Despite wearing safety glasses a tiny sliver of metal ended up in one of my eyes. After suffering for a few days I finally went to the doctor. He looked several times and said he couldn't see anything and said it was probably just scratched, but I said "trust me, there's something in there". He looked again with various lights and angles and finally found it hidden in the colored part of my eyeball. He used some kind of vibrating device that looked like a gizmo from an alien abduction movie to remove the metal from my eye. Very scary but I felt better immediately, then had to take antibiotics for about a week to prevent infection.

Moral of the story, if you feel like something is in your eye, there's a really good chance something is in your eye. :) Be persistent with the doctor.

I had this exact same problem. Turned out that I had something stuck under my eyelid. Blinking, I felt the irritation. If I didn't blink, no problem. I was able to sleep until REM sleep kicked in, then I'd wake up.

Also, the more I'd rub my eye, the worse it would feel. Makes sense as I was grinding what ever was embedded under my eyelid into my eyeball.

I also noticed when I wore contacts that the irritation went away. The reason the contact helps is because the eyeball and the eyelid now have a barrier between them so the irritation on the eyelid isn't scratching the eyeball.

Next time it really bothers her, have her close her eyes and hold the eyeball still. Then have her move her eye up, then down, then left, then right. See if there's one point she can feel the irritation. This will help isolate where under the eyelid the irritation exists and will assist the doc in finding it.

Anyways, have the doc check under the eyelid.

Last edited:
Corneal erosion, or maybe a stye? I've had both several times, and an average optometrist should be able to diagnose either. I only see ophthalmologist any more, because that's how we roll.
My experienced tech mentioned something could be embedded beneath inner eyelid cells.
In any event, this is serious discussion, and you should drive to the city today. Take dark glasses and keep the eyes lubricated with a sterile dated solution.

Thanks for all the help![emoji1]

We went to an Opthamologist today; his diagnosis is dry eye syndrome. Gave her a script for an eye cream and suggested hot compresses along with the eye drops she's currently using.

Something about age[emoji23], altitude, and low humidity(all true). Post-menopausal women are also more likely to experience the problem. While it is still an issue at least she knows what is going on and can hopefully get some relief.

Thanks for all the help![emoji1]

We went to an Opthamologist today; his diagnosis is dry eye syndrome. Gave her a script for an eye cream and suggested hot compresses along with the eye drops she's currently using.

Something about age[emoji23], altitude, and low humidity(all true). Post-menopausal women are also more likely to experience the problem. While it is still an issue at least she knows what is going on and can hopefully get some relief.

MRG,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Glad your wife finally has a diagnosis and course of action. So happy to hear it wasnt something more serious.

omni

Back
Top Bottom