Spouse Medicare qualification

carioca60

Confused about dryer sheets
I was hoping someone can help answer some questions about spouse Medicare qualification/cost.

Here is my situation:

- I'm a 62 years old US citizen and eligible for social security, ie. have worked and paid Medicare taxes for well over 40 quarters

- my wife, who is a legal permanent resident for over 20 years, does not have her own credits so will need to use my credits for Medicare. She will be turning 65 next year. She is a Japanese citizen

- I'll likely still be working when she turns 65 and both of us will still be covered by my company health insurance at that time

The questions then are:

- can my wife qualify for Medicare Part A using my credits when she turns 65 even though I'll still be 62 at that time?

- can she qualify for premium free Part A as a non-US citizen legal resident?

- can she wait to apply for Medicare past 65 until I stop working and we both then loose my current employer's health coverage? Will she incur a Medicare (part A and part B) penalty later if she does not enroll at 65?

I'd really appreciate any pointers/answers. Thanks!!!

Joe

She’ll have a choice of staying on your work health insurance or going on Medicare. Check with your Human Resources to see if your health plan requires her to go on Medicare. Your work years cover your spouse if she is a legal resident.

She’ll have a choice of staying on your work health insurance or going on Medicare. Check with your Human Resources to see if your health plan requires her to go on Medicare. Your work years cover your spouse if she is a legal resident.

Thanks! I assume if she can stay on my work health insurance, she will not have to pay a penalty later for enrolling past 65, correct?

Thanks!!

I thought you had to sign up for part A at 65 which is free for most people.

Thanks! I assume if she can stay on my work health insurance, she will not have to pay a penalty later for enrolling past 65, correct?

Thanks!!

There is no Part B penalty as long as she has qualified health coverage. You’ll get proof of that in the mail with a form (1095 maybe??) Be sure to keep it.

As Teacher Terry said, most insurance plans require you to sign up with Medicare Part A . Please check all this with HR and your insurance company.

Back
Top Bottom