Starting and stopping the pension

skyking1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is an option for me. I had always thought that it would be a clean break, more or less.
I spent some time on the phone with the plan management. It is a common practice in my union.
Just call in and let them know when you'll be working more than 50 hours in a month and they can take you off the pension.
I can work up to 50 hours and keep the pension checks coming.
Has anyone done this?

Ours is set up that I can work and make up to a certain %, If I exceed that, I have to pay the excess back to the system. This only applies to any job that is tied into the state system. Technically I could suspend my pension and go back to work, and actually increase my future pension.
But didn't want to, and now there no possible way I physically could.

Mine was set up similar, as you could only work a set number of hours per year.
Several years ago, they got rid of that for nurses only as there was/is such shortage.

Then a couple years ago, they created a flow chart, and now some folks are limited to 1040 hours, some have a 6 month wait and then work as much as desired, and some can go right back day after retirement and work on call as. much as they want.
All depends on age and which level you retired at.

At any of these, you still get paid your pension, there is no suspension. You are working on call or temporarily.
If you choose to return to a permanent full time position with benefits, then yes, your pension is stopped and you reapply when you retire again.

This is a government pension.

It's an odd situation for me. Work is really slow and I go in and make some hours, but that is personally not fulfilling in the least.
Pension on May 1= roughly 1.9 weeks gross pay. I can work 1.25 weeks and stay in the pension indefinitely.
My medical benefits take about 128 hours of work for a month, so my hour bank will dwindle down to nothing sometime early in '25 if I go that route.
I had a plan of working as much as I could while building the house, and retiring when we could move. Maybe that 50 hours is it and I go into the plan now.
If I wait, there would be a small increase based on the month of retirement, plus any contributions. If I worked enough to make up the difference between being on the pension plus the 50 hours, I would have a heck of a time building the house.

Back
Top Bottom