State Tax Refund Lost In Mail

zinger1457

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My AZ state tax refund was processed and issued, received a 'USPS Informed Delivery' notice with a photo of the AZ Dept of Revenue mailing but it never showed up in my mailbox. We have a central community mailbox (~50 residents), sometimes the mail gets placed in the wrong box but always gets straightened out, in 25 years never had a mailing or package not received. Not really sure what happened, maybe it was picked up or lost during the USPS handling before it even reached the mail box. It's possible a neighbor got it by mistake but hard to imagine why they would hold on to it or try to cash it with the risk that comes with it, I do live in a fairly upscale residential neighborhood. Not really sure how to proceed, I did notify USPS that the mailing wasn't received but haven't heard back. Haven't contacted the state yet so that's probably my next step. Will the state issue a new refund check if one was lost or not received? This was the first time in years that I received a refund from the state, I always owed money in previous years.

When did it show on Informed Delivery? My Informed Delivery email has a qualifying condition at the bottom. Says "Mail may arrive several days after you receive this notification. Please allow up to a week for delivery before reporting missing mail."

Definitely give it at least a week. My car registration showed up 6 days after the informed delivery said it would, and I've had other things off by a day or two.

After that, contact the AZ department of revenue and ask them to reissue it. They should have a customer service line you can call.

And if you are ever in the position to get a refund in the future, direct deposit is the way to go.

I would give it a few days. I often get an email telling me that today's mail will include this and that. This arrives today, but that arrives a day or two later.

Sadly, you may have to consider mail theft if the check never shows up. I hope it was not a big refund.

How long has it been?

if another neighbor got it they might have marked it RTS, or just not sorted their mail and not yet bothered to put it back out, or be out of town?

I had one not make it to the mailbox after it showed on Informed Delivery. I caught up with the substitute mail delivery guy on the next street up. Said he did not have it and he put all the mail in my box.

I immediately filed a lost report and tried several times to notify the IRS. I could not get past the gatekeepers.

The really annoying part is that it had gotten dumped in a potential fraud box and it took the congress person's office to get it released, about 8 months after it was filed. They got the Taxpayer Advocate to release it. And then it got lost... The Taxpayer Advocate notified the congress person's office it had been returned a couple of months later and I finally got the refund.

Last edited:
I agree with others here. If Informed Delivery indicated it would be delivered yesterday, I would wait at least through tomorrow's mail delivery. We've had a few envelopes not arrive on the day Informed Delivery said they would.

One extra note: Assuming the refund check is still in USPS's system, you may or may not get another Informed Delivery notice tomorrow for that envelope. Ideally, you'll see it again, which should give you some comfort it hasn't been misplaced. But be prepared for Informed Delivery to not indicate anything, only to have the envelope show up. I've seen it happen both ways.

Yes, I did notice the 7 day disclaimer on the USPS informed delivery page, it will be day 7 on Tuesday so I'll give it a couple more days. I've been signed up with informed delivery for years and it's very rare when I don't get the mail that shows up in the morning email that same day. Of course, most of the mail I get I could care less when it arrives so don't pay much attention.
I haven't gotten a state tax refund in at least 15 years and I was surprised that the tax software I used (OLT) didn't give me an option to get the refund by direct deposit. When I got to the end to submit the state forms the only option was a check by mail. Not sure if this is an AZ thing or an issue with the software.

Last edited:
I’ve had items in Informed Delivery not show up for a day or two as well, but never a week. I would check the “I didn’t receive this mailpiece” box on the Inf. Del. website for that piece of mail, although the only time I tried that nothing ever happened.

"Informed Delivery"...

Starting last fall, ALL of the scanned junk mail, i.e. We Buy Houses, Retirement Seminars, etc have never been delivered. All of it. We also have had financial documents never turn up.

Checking the "I haven't received this mail piece" box has had zero effect. Our local Post Office has a contact number but they do not answer it. I've been told that in person at the office. I also can't find any contact info for our postmaster or postal inspector.

Hoping your check turns up.:)

_B

I have direct deposit of both state and Federal tax refunds to my checking account, no involvement with USPS.
Too bad Arizona doesn't have that option...

I have direct deposit of both state and Federal tax refunds to my checking account, no involvement with USPS.

AZ tax forms do have an option for direct deposit. I do a return for a family member who lives there and they've always gotten their refund by direct deposit. It sounds like the software zinger1457 used doesn't support it though. At that point, I'd print out the return, hand-write in the routing and account numbers, and mail it. It's only 2 pages for most people.

I am not familiar with OLT software OP is using but I see it is free for Federal and $7.95 for state returns. I use HRB for Fed and state taxes but I use the HRB state return as a template to file electronically (iFile). My refund is direct deposited in 3 days even if I file on a weekend.

They do. My AZ refund was direct deposited last month a week after I filed (e-file).

Try to meet the carrier when s/he is at the mailboxes. Report the problem and ask the carrier if there's anyone with a pile of mail in their box that might indicate they're away, and if the carrier would take a peek if so.

Well, the good news is the check finally showed up in the mail, not sure what happened, maybe a neighbor got it and hung onto it for a few days before sending it back out.

We have a central community mailbox (~50 residents), sometimes the mail gets placed in the wrong box but always gets straightened out, in 25 years never had a mailing or package not received.
Well, the good news is the check finally showed up in the mail, not sure what happened, maybe a neighbor got it and hung onto it for a few days before sending it back out.
How about that, your community record is still intact. Whenever I have a delivery that seems lost, patience always seems to pay off, though you almost never know what happened.

Last edited:

Glad your check finally showed up in the mail.

I my annual IRS PIN letter that didn't show up before. Don't know whatever happened. Maybe it got misdelivered to somebody else who just tossed it? Or maybe just in limbo somewhere.

Luckily, I was able to request another copy of the IRS PIN.

Not worth the worry, IMO, to file without direct deposit.

Good news indeed.

Misdelivered sounds plausible given the timing. If the neighbor just dropped it in the outdoing mail it would take another 3-5 days or so. This happens to us frequently.

It’s amazing how bills never seem to get lost in the mail.

Good to hear! We have been a victim of misdirected mail so many times we are on a first name basis with our local post office. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Definitely give it at least a week. My car registration showed up 6 days after the informed delivery said it would, and I've had other things off by a day or two.

After that, contact the AZ department of revenue and ask them to reissue it. They should have a customer service line you can call.

And if you are ever in the position to get a refund in the future, direct deposit is the way to go.
I always do direct deposit but this year owed a pile due to capital gains on a house sale. Feels pretty dicey just putting a large physical check in the mail, nearly everything i do is done with electronic funds transfer so i don't have a physical check floating around somewhere with no proof i actually even mailed it!

I always do direct deposit but this year owed a pile due to capital gains on a house sale. Feels pretty dicey just putting a large physical check in the mail, nearly everything i do is done with electronic funds transfer so i don't have a physical check floating around somewhere with no proof i actually even mailed it!

We also owe due to a rental property sale. I just scheduled the payment to go electronically with EFTPS. You can send any amount under $1M. Our tax due dates got moved to June 17 due to a natural disaster, and I'm not going to pay until the last minute, but I'm sure it will go through without any problem.

Back
Top Bottom