Synchrony Bank HYS/Firefox NoGo

Involuntary Retiree

Recycles dryer sheets
I don't respond to others' threads much, and this is my first thread to start. Yay!
I have a HYS living trust account at Synchrony Bank that I've had for almost five years, with no problems and in fact I've recommended their service when asked. As of yesterday, I haven't been able to access that account, however, so I called Synchrony today to inquire about denial of access. Essentially, I was told that Synchrony and my web browser, Firefox, are incompatible as of recently, and I need to change my browser to Google Chrome in order to access my accounts. I can get a waiver from this rule, however, if I request one after I receive in the mail (in 5-7 business days) some code and then call a Synchrony supervisor named "Greg" (they apparently only have one supervisor named Greg working at Synchrony) who will authorize an override of the Synchrony/Firefox problem.

What?!? I can and will move my account to another, more cooperative bank, but my problem is my linked accounts, including my Treasury Direct account. At this moment, I can neither buy nor redeem Ibonds because my HYS is the linked account to Treasury Direct.

Just FYI. Synchrony doesn't care that my account/money is inaccessible, although they "apologize that I'm upset about the situation."

It appears my post was affected by the double-spacing gremlin someone was complaining about recently in another thread. Sorry for the formatting issues.

It isn't often I see Firefox being declined for use on any website. If anything, Firefox will be the reason for lack of access because of poorly written website HTML (and there is a LOT of it in the online world).

I've always had a second browser in the event Firefox barks at a website. In the past I've had Opera, Vivaldi, and Brave. All Chromium based. I can't think of a website where none of them would work.

But I am with you. If a particular online website required Google Chrome and *only* Google Chrome, I would be looking elsewhere.

Last edited:
First, try to update firefox which may work for some websites as I had a similar problem earlier with SSA website signin.
Second, you can now link other account on TD as now TD allows for changing and/or adding new bank account without issue.

Update - I put in a order on Treasury Direct to purchase an ibond (before the end of April to capture the .4% fixed rate). I also requested a change to my linked account. Not sure if either will work. I'll report back with developments.

First, try to update firefox which may work for some websites as I had a similar problem earlier with SSA website signin.
Second, you can now link other account on TD as now TD allows for changing and/or adding new bank account without issue.
I think my Firefox is updated. Working on linking another account, and we will see how it goes.

I just logged into Synchrony using firefox 112.0 without issue.

It isn't often I see Firefox being declined for use on any website. If anything, Firefox will be the reason for lack of access because of poorly written website HTML (and there is a LOT of it in the online world).

I've always had a second browser in the event Firefox barks at a website. In the past I've had Opera, Vivaldi, and Brave. All Chromium based. I can't think of a website where none of them would work.

But I am with you. If a particular online website required Google Chrome and *only* Google Chrome, I would be looking elsewhere.

I don't think there is such a requirement. I can access Synchrony just fine with Brave and Safari.
I too have two or more browsers loaded just in case a particular website stops working with one. It is rare, but it can happen. Often, the issue is eventually taken care of with a browser upgrade or an adjustment at the website. Not that big a deal. Switching banks, especially if it involves changing linked accounts (and ESPECIALLY if it involves TD.....!!!!) seems like an overreaction to me. Alas, if gives peace of mind, then I say: "go for it"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom