Ten most expensive Medicare states

I'm surprised that Texas was one of the top 10. Whoosh! There goes the savings from not having a state income tax in Texas.

Texas also has about the best quality healthcare in the world, if you can afford it.

I'm surprised that Texas was one of the top 10. Whoosh! There goes the savings from not having a state income tax in Texas.
Another item REWahoo can add to his list of reasons to not move to Texas? :)

The differences in premiums for Medicare supplemental policies are much smaller than differences for individual insurance policies for people < age 65 across the different states. Strange.

The article includes a promo for a health care cost estimation app. That might be the reason for the article.

Uh - but it's behind Louisiana!

Oh my goodness! Somehow I missed that. :LOL: You're right.

We have a saying here that Louisiana is always at/near the bottom of the "good lists" and always at/near the top of the "bad lists". Once again that saying proves true.

We have a saying here that Louisiana is always at/near the bottom of the "good lists" and always at/near the top of the "bad lists". Once again that saying proves true.

They must be in competition with West Virginia.

I noticed that Maryland, the state we escaped from, was #3 on the list. Traffic and taxes were the main motivators but now there's another reason.

I didn't see Virginia on either of the lists, so I guess we're somewhere in the middle.

What about the 10 least expensive?

This is the best I could find.

The 10 Least Expensive Health Insurance Markets In The U.S. | Kaiser Health News
The press release the OP article is based on says the 3 least expensive are Hawaii, Vermont and Maine.

A person retiring this year at age 65 in Michigan will spend $3,707 in their first year of retirement, and will have a lifetime projected cost of $152,175 for Medicare Parts B and D and supplemental insurance premiums, assuming a 20-year retirement. This is nearly $40,000 more than a retiree in Hawaii, who will pay lifetime projected costs of $112,528 and a first year cost of $2,818.

For a 55 year old living in Michigan, these costs rise to $6,152 in first year costs, and $252,915 in lifetime costs. If the same person were to retire in Hawaii, their costs would be $4,713 for the first year and $188,575 lifetime, or a difference of $64,340 in projected lifetime costs. By comparison, a 55 year old planning to retire in New York at 65 can expect to pay $5,751 in the first year of retirement on Medicare and supplemental insurance premiums, and $234,683 in lifetime costs to age 85. For the same individual retiring in Florida, these costs are $6,104 and $250,536. The costs for an individual in California are projected to be $5,854 and $239,526.
Source: Press Release- 7/29/15 - HealthView Services

Last edited:
The interesting fact about Hawaii is that the state has required all employers to offer health insurance for years. Between the military, military retirees, other public employees almost all residents have health insurance. My parents wintered there for many years so I learned that Kaiser is THE largest health care provider in the state. The market for physicians in private practice relatively small as they serve, basically, snowbirds and employer group insurance.

Back
Top Bottom