Tesla Model Y question

Back in ancient times I worked for an optical recognition company and the hardware engineers never could release any products because they were always waiting for the next better processor chip to come out.

Yeah, it's iffy with the braking. As suggested, you can turn it down in sensitivity. I would have seriously injured or killed a man without it. Guy pulled out broadside from a driveway and stopped in the middle of the highway as I'm doing 70mph 100 yards away. I didn't know what happened at first until I was almost stopped. That dude went home to change his pants!

I've tested autodrive on all kinds of situations. I let it drive Wolf Creek Pass. It was useless on the hairpins but does okay on most of it. Only real negative besides false positives is on some turns it will go in hot and suddenly "blink blink" and return control back to the human. It's not cool to be late and fast into a tough turn.

On this trip (San Jose and Monterey Bay CA) we rented a Model Y long range so I got a good week of experience. IMO it’s more complicated to operate than our model X due to the stalks on the steering column - but to an ICE car driver that will be very familiar. The Model X has really streamlined driving by getting rid of the stalks and moving most of the functionality to buttons on the wheel/yolk. This means far less manipulation so it’s very efficient and quick.

Generally autosteer and TACC worked the same other than having to use the right stalk. I also kept wanting to swipe up or down on the display to control driving direction or enable park. The X does a good of guessing which direction you will want to go so you just buckle up and step on the brake (an enabled feature), so a bit more fiddling required on the Y.

The roads here in CA were rough whether freeway or city streets/neighborhood roads - concrete, potholes, tree roots, endless patches and cuts - and you could feel it in the Model Y, but no worse than other SUVs I’ve rented. The Model X airbags do give a smoother ride.

I do like the above yoke display on the X so it took a little getting used to glancing to the right for essentials like speed, lanes, but I got used to it pretty quickly. The stuff on the left 1/3 of the Y display plus a little NAV info is shown on a second smaller display built into the dash in front of the Model X driver, and the large Model X center screen is dedicated to what is shown on the right 2/3 of the Model Y screen.

Overall the Model Y was great to drive and far more comfortable and solid than the ICE car (Nissan Rogue) that I rented to get to the airport. Very peppy and great on curves. Very roomy too. The one I rented still has ultrasonic sensors handy for parking.

Will do this again when I can. Not sure if I’m comfortable driving a Model 3 if a Y is not available. We really don’t like riding in sedans.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom