"That's not leather, that's vinyl." What is with some people?

"Genuine Leather" ground up little bits mixed with binder and smeared on some flexible cardboard like substance. That was my last piece of crap belt.

Marketing...

Try good consignment stores for gently used leather purses. Or pay big bucks.

I would be thrifting if it were for an immediate family member, but it's a present. And here in wealthy Silly Valley, the thrift stores surprisingly do not have good selections. Maybe consignment is the way to go, although I don't recall seeing any stores locally. Hmm...I think I have a new item on the "to do" list. Thanks for suggesting that!

Do you actually have any data for this, or are you just letting your xenophobia show?

On the topic at hand, this just sounds to me like someone who likes to prop themselves up by putting someone else down. Don't give it another thought - he's not worth it.

Economics, not xenophobia.

The rest is Naugahyde.

I weep for the untold thousands of helpless Naugas who gave up their innocent lives to provide this product.

I weep for the untold thousands of helpless Naugas who gave up their innocent lives to provide this product.

Y'all ever had the meat from these guys? I hear it's delicious!

I hear they're as vicious as minks. And doctors have no idea how to treat a Nauga bite. So, hunt and skin away.

I'm sure it's bicast leather - we wouldn't have spent the $$ for full-hide furniture nine years ago. Bicast is split leather that has a vinyl sealer/strengthener on it, although it's interesting that after nine years, it still smells like leather. Not strongly, but a good leather scent nonetheless. No smell of plastic/vinyl at all.

Okay. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicast_leather

So the carpet cleaner wasn't totally off in his diagnosis. Your furniture has vinyl on the sitting surfaces. Still no need to bring it up, but that does cast a slightly different light on the discussion.

Today we had to get our (clean) basement carpet cleaned, per the warranty requirements.

We have a leather-covered sectional/sleeper. After shifting this item for cleaning, the cleaner decided it wasn't leather after all, but vinyl. And he so informed us, in the most definite way imaginable. "I have that same material on my boat."

Not only was he wrong (unless vinyl smells exactly like leather), but...what purpose did this pronouncement serve? As nearly as we can tell, he didn't damage the covering, so why pretend it is made of something cheaper than it is?

I just KNEW there was a reason to justify why I haven't had my carpet cleaned. :D Nobody has commented on my gorgeous genuine Italian leather easy chair or told me it was made of vinyl or anything like that. Which is fine, because I absolutely love it, and do not give a hoot what the uneducated masses think. But it would be annoying to subject myself to such a horribly rude and mean comment.

Here's a photo of it back at my old house in 2015, when I bought it.

Attachments

• chair2.jpg
    chair2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 13
I hope you realize you are risking the ire of all those folks from PETA. Don't expect them to stand by idly while more Nauga die just so you can have new furniture for your RV.

Indeed, the insensitivity of such an action! Don't people know that Naugas are on the World Wildlife Fund's endangered species list?

Another interesting topic! I can't believe how cheaply things are made now (and I'm not that old lol)!

I have a sweater purchased at Express more than 20 years ago. I only wear it around the house because it's out of style, but it is so well made! There are no pulls, no rips, no worn spots, and the color has held up fairly well. It is thick and soft and warm.

I have items purchased from the same store over the past few years and they are almost ready for the trash. They lose their shape, fade and tiny holes just appear randomly. Seems like everything is disposable now.

Not knowing what OP bought, but we just bought a leather couch.... but that means it is only leather on the seating surface and arms... the sides and back are fake...

Interesting that we also have another couch that is Italian leather on sides and back but has cloth cushions...

BTW, I do not like the couch... the one in the showroom was really nice and soft... the one we have is pretty hard and my butt gets sore after sitting in it for awhile.. I wanted cloth and lost... now DW insists that I had 'agreed' with her even though I never did...

Nobody has commented on my gorgeous genuine Italian leather easy chair or told me it was made of vinyl or anything like that.

Here's a photo of it back at my old house in 2015, when I bought it.

Nice easy chair!

I have a red leather recliner (not Italian) that is my favorite piece of furniture.

Reactions: W2R
My white Natuzzi leather sofas need to be cleaned, but I have not got around to it.

The fake leather I see at IKEA needs less maintenance, and should be more tolerant of abuse. Why would that be bad?

Last edited:
Indeed, the insensitivity of such an action! Don't people know that Naugas are on the World Wildlife Fund's endangered species list?

You will be glad to know that the slaughtered Naugas nowadays are all farm raised, then butchered in the most humane manner.

51uARDMkv2L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom