The American Bison saved by two women

RonBoyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Two families crucial to saving American bison

Their wives, Mary Good Elk Woman Dupree and Sarah Philip, were unsung heroines in the saga, largely ignored by historians but credited by their families for their roles.

Both women were Lakota, for whom the buffalo are sacred. And both, according to their descendants, helped persuade their husbands to rescue buffalo for their preservation.

“She kind of lived both lives,” Means said of her grandmother, who was of Lakota and French ancestry. “The buffalo were quite predominant at that time. She always bemoaned the loss of the buffalo. She even wept once.”

see also:
Biologists fight to save rare bison bloodlines

That's just one line. Charles Goodnight and his wife preserved a group of southern American Bison who are now the Texas State Herd kept at Caprock Canyon State Park. During their lifetime some of their stock was sent up to help expand the Yellowstone herd. Read about the Goodnights and it's a pretty amazing story.

I actually hadn't ever heard about those women, but I think I have heard of at least one other individual saving some. What are the origins of the Yellowstone herd? There are also herds in Montana.

Audrey

Cattle-free DNA is the key phrase. I suspect, you are correct about the Texas herd if they were sent to Yellowstone and that herd is cattle-free.

Ted Turner, of course, being the largest "buffalo" rancher has large herds in Montana (as well as in many other states, including South Dakota) The Durhams in Wyoming are another big "buffalo" operation.

In any event, my post was intended as praise for the women.

Cattle-free DNA is the key phrase. I suspect, you are correct about the Texas herd if they were sent to Yellowstone and that herd is cattle-free.

Ted Turner, of course, being the largest "buffalo" rancher has large herds in Montana (as well as in many other states, including South Dakota) The Durhams in Wyoming are another big "buffalo" operation.
The herd I was thinking of in Montana was the one owned by the tribes between Missoula MT and Glacier National Park.

Yes, the Goodnight herd originated from the wild-ranging bison of the TX plains and was a pure breed, but I think he is also the one who created and marketed the "beefalo", a cow/bison cross.

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom