The Art of Off Peaking

I detest hordes of people while skiing or hiking in the mountians. Been doing this for decades, long before they had a name for it. Weekday ski passes at the ski resort let me take the busy weekends off, enjoy the solitude of weekday skiing.

Yeah - I’ve seen that Google maps feature.

With Costco here, in general, I’ve found that first thing when open is the least busy time, and weekends are the worst.

But I know there are super busy Costcos around the country that are packed all the time.

I fell into off peaking very quickly and easily.

Tuesday is double coupon day, Tuesday is also $5 all day movies, Monday specials at the Mexican and Vietnamese restaurants near me. Hiking during the week when there is less crowds. All the museum and zoo days that are free are always mid week, even the special exhibits...the last one was $16/pp on every other day.

I don't have kids so I've always done vacations off-peak, the week after/before the summer typically saved us several hundred and had the same weather. My Alaska trip I think we saved almost $3K by going slightly off season.

My favorite off peak thing to do is the pool..its open May-Sept and can't stand it on the weekends, but 10AM on weekdays and I got a massive salt water pool to myself. I can swim laps or just relax on the built in shelf drinking wine with my friend with no one to bother us.

Most restaurants have some deal whether its happy hour or a certain night or a certain meal ..just getting to know them helps a lot. Restaurant weeks we go out for lunch. The same sampling menu is $25 vs. $38 with only slightly smaller meals.

"Off Peaking" and "bunching together" errands makes for a good, efficient combination to get things done.

A few times in the last few weeks, and in general all the time, I make several stops to do all of my errands, enabling me to not have to get in the car and do errands on other days. Some of my errands are for my ladyfriend, who works full-time and doesn't own a car any more. Many of my errands are local, within 2 miles of where I live (and where she lives, too). And if I have to travel a little further, I make sure to make some stops along the way here or on the way back (or both), saving me he time and effort to make separate trips.

We often travel in shoulder season and we always do last minute specials. In between longer trips.

Venice in mid-November was off-peak and the weather when we were there was nice - no rain, light jacket coolish - DH's fav weather. There was a line to get up the tower but no line for the Doge's Palace (and we were on the roof to get a good look at the moor's striking the bell at noon). I loved it but my friend who went the following August hated it because of crowds, unpleasant locals, and even the odors (I think).

We found Paris in April was off-peak in 2002 but next year we are going in March just to make sure (and because DD can't go later than that).

I get me haircut while everyone is in church. Although I do contend with the flat-earth stylist by taking that approach.

I think you have your time periods correct. A friend of mine works for the airlines and flies international routes. He says August is always the most crowded month in Europe.

August because all of the Europeans are also on vacation then.

Winter-time can be an interesting time to go to Europe - skiing, Christmas markets, etc. However, some places close down like in Greece and in the other countries the hours for the museums and other sites are reduced. However, because there are fewer tourists, you aren't wasting time waiting in lines.

Nevertheless, it can still be a good time to go and do other activities.

Bike/ped trails around here are packed on weekends, and weekday evenings with commuters and such. I am looking forward to some good 10 am Tuesday rides!

You have great trails in the area that actually go places.

Bike/ped trails around here are packed on weekends, and weekday evenings with commuters and such. I am looking forward to some good 10 am Tuesday rides!

Timing is even more important for road rides. Where I live, the traffic suddenly disappears around 9:15, and reappears about 2:00 when the school buses and picker-up-parents start driving.

going to Italy in January. Just walked right up to the Uffizi and went right in. Same at the Vatican museums, a great picture of the Forum with hardly a body in sight... and never a line at the checkout.

We did this as well. One of our best vacations ever. We went right after Christmas Day. Christmas is Christmas Day to Epiphany. The churches were beautiful. The crowds were not there. The Mediterranean weather was fine. The people were in a joyous mood. From Venice (a hotel room overlooking St Mark's Square) to Rome, It was great. We would do it again in a heartbeat.

Bill Murdoch

Wow. Every where I turn you guys provide another reason to RE. Big thing for me will be hiking trails as well - 4 more months to RE!

Only 4 months to RE! Congratulations on your progress and enjoy the ride!

We did this as well. One of our best vacations ever. We went right after Christmas Day. Christmas is Christmas Day to Epiphany. The churches were beautiful. The crowds were not there. The Mediterranean weather was fine. The people were in a joyous mood. From Venice (a hotel room overlooking St Mark's Square) to Rome, It was great. We would do it again in a heartbeat.

Bill Murdoch

That sounds excellent Bill. Great off peaking example. I've spoken to others who went to Italy over the X-mas holiday and had a similar experience.

We use airline passes for our long distance travel, so the free flight to Paris isn't likely to be available in July. That's fine with us, September-October are great times to travel almost anywhere.
Just returned from two weeks in Scotland and froze our bippies off- cloudy/rainy and ferocious winds all day. But that's pretty far north, the Orkney Islands we visited are about as far north as Juneau Alaska.
We also like to take 2-3 week car trips, before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.

Being an early riser, one of my favourite times to off peak is 7:00 AM when most of the grocery and hardware stores around here open. In and out in 5 or 10 minutes...

But, when I was working my office was located walking distance from 2 grocery stores, Home Depot, and several other stores that I frequented. So, I spent many lunch breaks running errands so that I didn't have to do them on weekends or after work.

Suprised nobody mentioned this... I've been a long time off-peaker, but, DW seems to want that vibe/energy from being in the crowds. E.g., it's Friday evening at 7pm and she wants to dine out, spending a half hour waiting for a table! Reminding her it would be better to do this on a Tuesday.
She'll also find some must-have item she needs at the grocery store on Saturday afternoon.

Some people love a crowd ; -)

It's $5 Friday at Safeway. At 8:30, it was hard to find a parking place near the door. However, I loaded up on the specials and sneaked through the self-checkout line in 15 minutes total. The parking lot will be full by 11.

Suprised nobody mentioned this... I've been a long time off-peaker, but, DW seems to want that vibe/energy from being in the crowds. E.g., it's Friday evening at 7pm and she wants to dine out, spending a half hour waiting for a table! Reminding her it would be better to do this on a Tuesday.
She'll also find some must-have item she needs at the grocery store on Saturday afternoon.

Some people love a crowd ; -)

I am pretty sure there is medicine to cure that affliction. :D

We use airline passes for our long distance travel, so the free flight to Paris isn't likely to be available in July. That's fine with us, September-October are great times to travel almost anywhere.
Just returned from two weeks in Scotland and froze our bippies off- cloudy/rainy and ferocious winds all day. But that's pretty far north, the Orkney Islands we visited are about as far north as Juneau Alaska.
We also like to take 2-3 week car trips, before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.

I’m planning a walking trip on the West Highland Way next year. Was looking at going the first or second week of September. I’ve read the weather is typically good and just before the rainy October season. Sounds like you might disagree based upon your experience. Any advice on that timing?

We are hoping to get some beach time in Cancun. Planning on a last minute trip in early Nov. if the weather looks clear for a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom