The Cliffs in the Western Carolinas: Anyone have an opinion?

Safe Harbour

Recycles dryer sheets
We are considering a building site in the Cliffs at Lake Keowee or Valley or Mountain Park. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or opinions? We have looked in the Bay area (too expensive), Santa Maria (too remote), Tuscon (too hot), Arkansas (too redneck). It seems pretty nice here. We want mild winters as this will mainly be a winter house for us. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. What to look for? What to watch out for? ;)

Thanks,

location?

I live in North Carolina and I have no idea whereb these places are.

kbst

I've seen the insert ads in USA Today papers for a few years now, when I go back to RTP.I think they are a bit south of Henderson and Brevard. A beautiful area, popular with retirees (at least that's what I heard when I lived in NC a few years ago.I don't know specifically about these developments. If it's at altitude I'm not sure that the winters will be that mild. Depends on what you compare it to, but at altitude you'll definitely get some cold.

Lake Keowee is beautiful, but it's probably technically South Carolina.

We spent New Years in Asheville. Mild winter is a very relative term. I froze my rear off up there, but then again, I'm from Charleston, SC.
If you wanted to go to a nice small town, look in the SC upstate, there are great areas above Greenville for retirees that aren't already overrun with them and would have those mild winters. My vote would be for little places like Pendleton or the outskirts of Spartanburg.

Cliffs

I live in Asheville though not at the Cliffs. I have no association with The Cliffs but from what I hear, it is the premier development in western North Carolina. The developer has a reputation of being down-home and very friendly. Like many areas around the country, some developers buy land in WNC and fill it with as many houses as possible without regard for views and how the community will ultimately function when everything is built. That is NOT the reputation of The Cliffs.

Mike Honeycutt

Thanks fr everyone's replies. We just returned from a visit and loved the area. We also loved the Cliffs. In particular Cliffs Valley which is on the NC/SC border on HYW 25 about 20 minutes north of Greenville and 45 min south of Ashville. Greenville on Friday night was great and the Symphony and restaurants looked like they would be very enjoyable. All the amenities at the Cliffs are impressive (I just hope they don't over extend themselves. We also visited the three Cliffs communities at Lake Keowee. While they were very nice we just loved the views in Valley. We also visited the Mountain Park and Glassy areas. Very nice. We went to non-Cliff's community that is just starting and is closer to Ashville. It was hard to see because it was not at all built yet and it was significantly colder then Valley. If anyone has any more info or thoughts I would appreciate it. Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom