The Ig Noble Prize

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For some reason we have forgotten to give due consideration to the 2022 Ig Noble Prizes which were awarded earlier this year. So for those of you who appreciate creativity in the advancement of science and the arts, here is some news about the winners in 2022.

https://www.popsci.com/science/2022-ig-nobel-prize-winners/

The ceremony is usually held at Harvard University, but has been online since 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Per tradition, actual Nobel laureates handed out the prizes. The winners received a virtually worthless Zimbabwean $10 trillion bill.
Among the research projects that won prize were:

An international group of scientists ranging from Bejing to Ontario developed an algorithm to help gossipers decide when to tell the truth and when to lie.
The 1999 study stressed the importance of a good universal knob design, particularly for, “instruments with rotary control,” particularly in elderly people who might find rotary knobs and faucet handles easier to use than a lever. Subjects in the study were asked to turn a series of different sized knobs clockwise with their right hand. They found that the the forefingers and thumb were used most frequently and extra fingers were used as the knobs became wider.
This now prize winning study found that only 28.85 percent of patients who used ice cream cryotherapy developed oral mucositis, compared with 59 percent who did not receive the Ben and Jerry’s approved cryotherapy.

Last edited:
sounds like the old Golden Fleece awards back in the 1970's and 80's.

Back
Top Bottom