The Price of Egg(head)s

I see it differently. When I hear employers declaring that they "can't find good help", what I hear is "We can't find good help who'll work for $25k/yr"...

I totally agree with you. I've seen situations where there wasn't anyone available at their current salary schedule so they chose to do without. If a company brings in people above their salary curve, they either have to adjust their curve (giving raises to all the wage slaves) or don't give a raise to the new hires until they get down to the curve (which pisses them off and they leave in a year or two).

This is a boom time for technical people. The demand has gotten so high for engineers in many fields that companies are having to do what it takes to get people and/or not lose too many. It became that way in late 2005.

I got layed off in 2002 and found a position at about 60% of my prior pay 15 months later. Two years after that the boom got going and I got another postion paying slightly higher than my original 2002 salary. Since late 2005, my salary is up about 16% with raises every 6 months. I could change employers for at least a 10% hike but I like the flexibility of where I'm at.

My employer is turning down clients because they don't have the people to do the work. They are turning down jobs and declining to bid on many others. They have made "courtesy bids" 20 to 30% above their normal rate for long term clients where they didn't want to get the award and still got the job.

This will end in a few years.

All I can say is I hope the job demand for Engineers stays strong - my daughter graduates in December with a B.S. in Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering from Georgia Tech. I hope she can choose an opportunity that excites her....

All I can say is I hope the job demand for Engineers stays strong - my daughter graduates in December with a B.S. in Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering from Georgia Tech. I hope she can choose an opportunity that excites her....

I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do after High School, but the school advisor said to me " cyles come and go, but there will always be jobs for GOOD engineers, why don't you consider engineering" That was back in 1971 and I think the same holds true today. Both DW and I are EE's and are still in high demand (in software and process control). Daughter graduated 4 years ago and started as a Software engineer for a Megacorp on $60K/year and has had multiple promotions since and is still a techie with no one to supervise so is still loving it.

Back
Top Bottom