"The Stock Market Secret that Retirees need to know"

I'm probably more aggressive in my investing than I should be at my age, but my Principal 401K fund is one of the only ones to make gains this year so far, so stay the course !

Pretty well known here, since it’s a fundamental of FIRECALC, the Trinity Study and Bengen among others. But we can all use periodic reminders. The true test comes when there’s a serious sustained downturn, but many here weathered ‘08, ‘00 and ‘87...

Last edited:
"Market Timing" sounds like something I want to play with in retirement with an extra (I.E. expendable) $1000, not my future !

Secret is buy low, sell high. Now if you know what those are you shouldn't be buying stocks, you should be plowing that money into options and you'll have much more $$$$$

I take my investing advice from the great Will Rogers:

"Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it."

Don't just do something, stand there!

I like the AssetBuilder site mostly because of the wealth of Scott Burns articles it contains. He's one of the all-time greats of personal finance writing. Otherwise nothing special about the company, IMHO. They offer DFA fund portfolios for a % of assets that's cheaper than most, but nothing special given that you can access the same funds (and better advice) cheaper elsewhere it you want to go that route.

The advice the FA here offers completely fails to take into account either the age or the risk tolerance of the client. That's pretty inexcusable. Has he never even heard of age-in-bonds? She's nearly 70 years old and made it clear she's risk averse. She'd be far better off just sticking everything in Vanguard Target Retirement Income or Wellesley. And why put up with volatility she can't handle when there are any number of portfolios that match the returns of the three-fund portfolio the FA recommends with far higher SWR's and much less volatility. Off hand how about the Golden Butterfly, Pinwheel, Merriman Ultimate or (ideal for someone her age) Larry Portfolio, all shown at this site (where one can compare the with the 3 fund to prove the case):

https://portfoliocharts.com/portfolios/

I like the AssetBuilder site mostly because of the wealth of Scott Burns articles it contains. He's one of the all-time greats of personal finance writing. Otherwise nothing special about the company, IMHO. They offer DFA fund portfolios for a % of assets that's cheaper than most, but nothing special given that you can access the same funds (and better advice) cheaper elsewhere it you want to go that route.

The advice the FA here offers completely fails to take into account either the age or the risk tolerance of the client. That's pretty inexcusable. Has he never even heard of age-in-bonds? She's nearly 70 years old and made it clear she's risk averse. She'd be far better off just sticking everything in Vanguard Target Retirement Income or Wellesley. And why put up with volatility she can't handle when there are any number of portfolios that match the returns of the three-fund portfolio the FA recommends with far higher SWR's and much less volatility. Off hand how about the Golden Butterfly, Pinwheel, Merriman Ultimate or (ideal for someone her age) Larry Portfolio, all shown at this site (where one can compare the with the 3 fund to prove the case):

https://portfoliocharts.com/portfolios/

I agree with most of your assessment, but I thought the article was more about not tinkering with your plan vs Asset allocation. I enjoyed the fact that the people who never touched their account had the best results.

Scott Burns is a very good author, but we all retire eventually.

Back
Top Bottom