Thinking of getting a vacuum sealer - looking for advice

Analyzing this way too deeply (hey, it's what I do!), I'd say the sous-vide then freeze makes sense on a few levels.

Less energy overall, right? Let's see - sous-vide from room temperature, less energy used. Freezing would take a bit longer, but they'd lose a lot of their heat just sitting out for a few minutes. And freezers are moving heat using electricity, which is more efficient than heating with electricity (COP applies).

Then, when you defrost in the fridge, that cold is being released into the refrigerator, where you want it, so it's not wasted.

Plus, I imagine you'd sous-vide several steaks at once, so the pre-heat is shared for less waste, and less time with this stuff on the counter, and taking it out and putting it away for each steak.

All pretty minor points, and might not be significant for the individual, but objectively I'd give the nod to "sous-vide, freeze, sear" as better than "freeze, sous-vide, sear".

-ERD50

You're right, ERD50. :LOL:

The bags tend to be expensive, so go to Amazon and find some third party bags or rolls.

Most cooked foods will last a week in the refrigerator, so you may not need to freeze as much as you think you'll need to. I tend to cook enough for at least 2 meals. Eat one right away and the other a couple of days later.

From trial and error when I owned external vacuum sealers in the past, not all bags are equal in effectiveness.

Foodsaver brand bags are probably the most common, yet the most expensive. I've tried 3rd party bag and rolls with hit or miss results. Some work fine, some have trouble keeping an airtight seal.

The best external machine type bag I bought in the past has the air sucked out area not entirely on one side, but as a center strip. Unfortunately, I believe whoever made those type of bags no longer do. This was several years back. A lot of variables come into play getting the best vacuum experience for your buck.

With a chamber vacuum sealer (yeah, I know, back to the chamber again ... :() the bags are pretty much all the same except the ml thickness. Bags are smooth both sides, so one less variable to contend with in getting a tight seal.

Hi I guess I'm one of the few that didn't have great luck with the foodsavers...for the last unit we bough we went with vacmaster. We've had it for a few years now without any problem. They sell both the external suction and the chamber units. We went with the external unit and we and couldn't be happier. They also have sales on the bags which are pretty reasonable. We also get generic rolls from amazon. Hope this helps.

https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I1OM7TO/

Does anyone here put steaks in vacuum sealed bags then sous vide and freezer for later searing?
If so, how do they turn out?

When we go camping, I will sous vide some thick rib eyes in seasonings or marinades to medium rare at home, then place in the ice chest. At the campsite, DH will sear them on the outdoor lump charcoal stove without stressing in front of others whether the interior of the steak is the right color/temperature. He knows it will be perfect every time.

From trial and error when I owned external vacuum sealers in the past, not all bags are equal in effectiveness.

Foodsaver brand bags are probably the most common, yet the most expensive. I've tried 3rd party bag and rolls with hit or miss results. Some work fine, some have trouble keeping an airtight seal.

The best external machine type bag I bought in the past has the air sucked out area not entirely on one side, but as a center strip. Unfortunately, I believe whoever made those type of bags no longer do. This was several years back. A lot of variables come into play getting the best vacuum experience for your buck.

With a chamber vacuum sealer (yeah, I know, back to the chamber again ... :() the bags are pretty much all the same except the ml thickness. Bags are smooth both sides, so one less variable to contend with in getting a tight seal.
The alternative brand Costco carries are very good.

Does anyone here put steaks in vacuum sealed bags then sous vide and freezer for later searing?
If so, how do they turn out?

I buy whole strip at a significant discount, have the butcher remove the fat and cut them into steaks. At home I prepare little portions of marinade in silicone mini muffin cups-a little oil, pepper Worcestershire sauce, a touch of vinegar. I prefreeze the marinade. The frozen marinade and steaks go into food saver bags and are sealed. I leave the steaks unfrozen in the fridge long enough to melt the marinade and spread it around, then freeze them.

When we want steaks, they go directly from freezer to sous vide. 30 extra minutes is all it needs to thaw and cook.

I have a Foodsaver and bought the bags in a roll so I can adjust the size. Although cheaper than eating out, it can still add a lot to your costs. Maybe plan meals so you can cook in bulk and then use those items within a few days so no freezing is required.

I have a Foodsaver and bought the bags in a roll so I can adjust the size. Although cheaper than eating out, it can still add a lot to your costs. Maybe plan meals so you can cook in bulk and then use those items within a few days so no freezing is required.
Vacuum bags are not your only option for freezing food. Reusable ziplocs work fine for freezing food that you'll use within a month or two, maybe longer. Sealing them:

I have a "Seal-A-Meal". I buy the bulk rolls of bag material and make my own (cheaper that way).
Usually freeze raw things in packages of about 1# of meat(s) for two of us (that's about the right size for us), and buy frozen or canned veggies. The only issue has been with chicken and it's "juice"- I add a paper towel in with that to catch the wetness and keep it out of the sealing area.
I don't bother with trying to seal up veggies because they get squashed too easily for my preference.
As for sealing cooked stuff, I don't.
I personally find that sealing raw things and then putting in my zero degree freezer works better.
Have had things in there literally for a calendar year and it's been OK.
My only recommendation is don't be skimpy with sizing when making bags. a little extra is better than cutting it too close.
and you can get a higher-end sealer that can handle liquids. google is your friend.

I have no experience with these because we usually make sure the leftovers are eaten within 2-3 days which means we have a cook-free day. However, I made a big pan of Speedy Southwest Spaghetti Pie (yum!) that will be enough for three meals so we just put it in gallon ziplock bags cut into serving-size portions and take out what we need for the next meal.

Buy a used one for cheap

I find vacuum sealers at thrift stores (Goodwill) all the time. Buy a used one and try it out before you plunk 60-80-100 dollars on one. I bought a new one long ago and it sits in the attic. It works, it just takes time and it's one more appliance in the kitchen. We never got into the habit of using it regularly.

Attachments

• IMG_1958.jpg
    IMG_1958.jpg
    849.8 KB · Views: 8
What does the sealer do differently when it is set to moist?

I'm pretty sure it increases the temperature of the seal (so less likely for any moisture to interfere with the seal)
Interesting. Not keeping the liquid out of the seal area but rather baking out whatever ends up there. My Weston sealer has an adjustable sealing time; maybe I'll try lengthening the time/aka more heat to see if that helps with moisture. I've really never fooled with that adjustment before.

What does the sealer do differently when it is set to moist?

I believe it increases the amount of sealing time by 30 seconds. That allows for sealing despite any liquid making it past the seal area (as you can see the small amount of liquid in my photo on post #87).

Back
Top Bottom