TMAO-Blood Test Predictor of Heart Disease

Elbata

Full time employment: Posting here.
Has anyone heard of this? TMAO. Cleveland HeartLab Launches Only Clinical Test for Measuring TMAO, an Important Measure of Gut Dysfunction that is Associated with Cardiovascular Disease Risk - Cleveland HeartLab, Inc.

We already have tests such as total cholesterol, LDL, triglyceride levels--it seems to me this would be another definitive test on the presence of disease in our blood vessels.

I "googled" TMAO and there's quite of bit of info on it, though I'm just hearing about it. https://www.google.com/search?q=TMA...9j69i60j0l3.4695j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

We hear all the time of totally asymtomatic folks who recently passed all their tests (including stress test) and then drop dead of MI. There must be something going on which can be tested. Maybe this is it. I will ask my cardiologist next visit.

Thanks for sharing.

I came across some mentions of TMAO when I was researching the MTHFR mutation. (DH, older son, and myself have the heterogeneous mutation, younger son has the homogeneous mutation.) One of the consequences of MTHFR homogeneous mutation is elevated homocystienes... Both TMAO (and elevated betaine) and the MTHFR mutation effect the methylation cycle and can produce elevated homocystenes.

I don't know much more about it than that and am far from an expert despite having read a bunch of medical research that was hard to decode...

I just wonder why it seems to be exclusively the Cleveland Clinic that's been fixated on TMAO; they've been at it for years and I haven't seen tons of researchers jumping on the bandwagon.

Back
Top Bottom