Toaster Recommendations

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The break room toaster ( actually " Nutrition Center " on the floor plan ) is giving the office clerks poor quality toast. Yes, they are still known as "Clerk-typists " at mega-city.

The current model is a cheap ass top load model. They want the same style, but old fashioned quality and function.

Tried the thrift shops today, no dice.

I want to get them a good one , as I get a lot of things done thru the clerks that I would otherwise have to do myself, at my part time gig at this city office, so cost is not important.

Ideas ?

I have always used the cheap top load models, and I always have bought pretty cheap ones, and they work and last for years.

My ToastMaster works great for me.

Maybe consumer reports has tested these but I didn't see any in the buying guides for 2017, 2016.

My favorite is the Mickey Mouse one that burns a Mickey head on one side of the bread and plays the Mickey Mouse Club March when done.:)

Regrettably, my kids got tired of it, and I'm now using a Kitchen Aide bought at Target for <$40. Still working fine after several years of occasional use.

Our Black and Decker 4 slice unit does great. A few years ago, I tried to replace it with a fairly "spendy" 2 slice unit (we never make more than two slices - was wanting to free up counter space). That unit sucked, so the B&D came out of retirement and the 2 slice unit went to Goodwill.
Edit - it has a bagel and frozen setting, and they also work well.
Good luck!

Consumer Reports from January '17 ratings, overall rating in ():

Top 2 slice toasters

- Krups KH732D50 (80)
- Cuisinart View Pro Glass 2-Slice CPT-3000 (78)

Top 4 slice toasters

- Breville BTA840XL (73)
- Crux CRX 14545 (72)

I'm surprised that work would let you have a toaster. Big no no at mega corp. Not sure of the brands above recommended by CR, but definitely get one with the big slots for bagels :) When I ate bread, a bagel was a go to at work. Can't remember ever having sliced bread (toast) at work.

Don't buy a Cuisinart 4 slice. We have. It is a piece of junk. Soon to be gone. Came from Costco. It was a gift.

I just sold a used 1980's in-the-wall toaster. Built into the wall, you just pulled it out to use it. It came out of a remodel 11 yrs ago when we bought the house. Yeah I almos ashamed to say that I kept it. But then I got $350 for it on eBay! It was really a cheap 4-slice toaster with no more that the std 2 dial setting.

Our Sears 4-slice has served us well over 40 years. I doubt that the quality (?) is still in newer built ones. Toasters located in a semi-commercial setting like a break room may not stand up to constant use no matter what brand one buys IMO.

I got a toaster that was on sale for $2 at K-Mart about 15 years ago. It was one of those displays in the middle of the aisle.

It works just fine. Out of habit, I keep an eye on the toast to make sure it is not burning.

I'm not quite sure what benefit I would get from a more expensive toaster, so I haven't bought one. I don't use a toaster very often.

One thing to be aware of is "toast separation" make sure there is a wall between each set of heating elements. I.e.) One set of heating elements for each piece of toast. I purchased a very pretty toaster with a glass wall that lets you see the bread as it is toasting. The issue with it is that when I put in 2 pieces it takes longer to toast than one piece. Basic physics as they both use the same set of elements. Didn't think of it at the time but it is a pain to adjust depending on the how much bread I am toasting.

I like our Breville. It was about $90 at Bed Bath & Beyond, less 20% for the coupon. It has a few bells & whistles on it that our inexpensive Kitchen Aid didn't.

Toaster price point is $12-$25. You get two slices and bagel capacity. Toastmaster, Procter Silex, Hamilton Beach, whatever has decent ratings from WalMart. Like coffee makers, spending more does not get a better quality result or longevity. Make sure it is easy to empty the crumbs and the catch is sturdy. Expect one to two years life in a busy break room.

I'm surprised that work would let you have a toaster. Big no no at mega corp. Not sure of the brands above recommended by CR, but definitely get one with the big slots for bagels :) When I ate bread, a bagel was a go to at work. Can't remember ever having sliced bread (toast) at work.

We are in a small building 10 miles from City Hall , so we don't get much scrutiny. Couldn't get away with it at city hall.

The see thru model looks neat , except for the review a few posts back.

Will try the thrift shops one more time looking for a twin of the 1972 Proctor Silex one I have at home.

Back
Top Bottom