Too late to look for FL rentals

theoldwizard

Recycles dryer sheets
This will be my first winter of early retirement. DW is still working (her choice). My sister is also working, but her hubby is retired also. They have a daughter in Tampa area.

I was think about renting a 2 bedroom condo/house in the Tampa area for a month (Jan or Feb). The guys would drive down ahead of time. The ladies would fly in later, probably for just a 4 day weekend.

I want to be near the water so I can walk the beach and maybe do a little fishing. We plan on dinning out a lot, so nice local eateries would be good.

Am I too late to start looking ?

Any suggestions of where to look around Tampa (I don't know the area at all)

I don't have any idea how much something "decent" would cost. Scare me.

How about trailer parks. Are they all booked in advanced ?

Hotel is about the only thing I heard of renting for 1 month at a time.

Look in St.Petersburg that's were the beaches are or if you are looking for a smaller area Anna Marie Island is next to Bradenton (below Tampa ) .Both areas have nice beaches ,restaurants and good fishing .Lots of condos do monthly rentals look on the net at VRBO ( vacation rentals by owner ) .I live on the border of Sarasota & Bradenton so if you need any other help feel free to PM me .

hello: we used prestige vacation properties (part of century 21)last winter for a one month rental in the florida keys. very positive experience. i don't know if they're in the tampa area but they are in fort myers and may be able to help. 1-800-543-6279. good luck

Check out Craigslist.com -- just saw several vacation rentals listed by owner in the area you're interested in.

I doubt you are too late. I have no experience myself (as a young dreamer who is TOO far away from FIRE), but my grandmother just sold her home in Fort Myers a few months ago. She mentioned that last year several of the homes in her community stayed empty most of the winter, because the owners weren't able to find renters.

VRBO.com is a possible place to look.

I'm a big fan of Tarpon Springs, which is about 45 minutes north of Tampa. Great restaurants, cute town, good beach in town, great beaches a within a short car ride. I've also heard there is decent fishing around, but I have no personal experience of that.

I have used VRBO.com a half dozen times. In fact I leave for Disney in FL for a week in a 3 bedroom condo for $550 all taxes and fees included. 1.5 miles outside of the back gate. SIL rented a 2 bedroom in not as nice of a complex thru a realtor within walking distance of ours for $775.00. Not sure if taxes and fees are included.

I had one bad experience where I had to cancel a trip due to illness of a relative about 3 weeks before we were supposed to go. Renter said it was no problem he would return the refund but never did. He was from England...

I try to talk to the renter to get a feel for what kind of folks they are and I now rent from US residents.

Good luck you can save a lot of money with VRBO.

W

Look at by-owner vacation rental sites like Homeaway.com. Or do a home swap if $$ are the issue.

Month rates are much better than weekly.

Speaking as a year-round owner here (N. of Tampa): there are "for rent" signs all over the place, at least in a "bedroom community" such as [-]East Butt Plug[/-] Spring Hill. This is, of course a different market from Gulf-side condos, but I'm sure you'd find what you're looking for.

Check out some of the trailer/mobilehome parks in the Tampa,St Pete area as they usually have a few for rent..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom