Too many advisors ??

I have talked to vanguard and I think I'm going with them. I'm like where I'm headed. I will just keep asking questions where you put taxable money ?

You got the books, what did the books say?

LOL! said:
You got the books, what did the books say?

I just don't get it now that tax-deferred and tax free Maxed out and I will be opening a taxable account thats where I get confused with tax-efficient and inefficient.

I just don't get it now that tax-deferred and tax free Maxed out and I will be opening a taxable account thats where I get confused with tax-efficient and inefficient.

Since you're planning to move most of your $ to Vanguard, here are two pages from the Vanguard website (if you've not seen them already) about help that they offer And if you've not done so, you could give them a call at their 800 number and talk to them about moving your money over. Like Fidelity, Schwab, etc., they should be very helpful in answering your questions (Vanguard was very patient with my DH and me in explaining everything) and will probably be able to handle the transferring for you.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/whatweoffer
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/whatweoffer/personalservices

There are dozens of threads on this at the Bogleheads forum. I would recommend reading some of them until you get the basic concept, then stop just before they start quibbling about the number of asset allocating angels that can dance on the head of a tax-efficient pin. There is such a thing as too much information. The basic rule is equities in taxable, bonds and REITs in tax exempt. But there are many caveats, so do some more reading.

In your taxable for now, buy only shares of these two funds:
VTSMX Vanguard Total Stock Market
VGTSX Vanguard Total International Stock Market.

They are tax efficient. They are all equities and have no bonds in them. Buy bond funds in your tax-advantaged accounts like 401(k) or Roth IRA. You can also buy equities in your tax-advantaged accounts such as the 2 funds I just mentioned, but do not buy bond funds in your taxable account.

Back
Top Bottom