Total Solar Eclipse April 8, 2024

This was our first total eclipse and we were fortunate enough to see it from Mazatlan w/ some friends. One had a drone and was getting some cool video and photos from that.

When the last bit of light disappeared while using the glasses I was waiting for the totality corona and finally realized that it wouldn't show through those lenses. I popped the glasses off and saw it with my eyes and was mesmerized! A very cool and amazing experience.

This is me, staring at the sun all slack-jawed...

Attachments

• SCR-20240412-rwfy.jpeg
    SCR-20240412-rwfy.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 9
It was pretty close to perfect in Cape Girardeau, MO. We had a tad over 4 min of totality and clear sunny sky. This was my first total eclipse and WOW. I did not expect the sunset in every direction either, that was very cool. We are already back in our hotel in TN, took about 2 hours to drive the 84 miles. I avoided the interstates and took back roads...very little traffic.

From Texas to Missouri, reverse storm chasing.

I went to Jackson MO Brookside Park. Nice veterans memorial park with food trucks and live music. Went with dad and my son for his golden birthday which was the next day.

Someone mentioned the polite clouds. It's one of the cooler set of people you could meet at a totality event. It was the same at the 2017 event I went to. Someone had setup and roped off their spot on a blue star rest stop in Indiana.

An interesting thing about Jackson, MO I struck up a conversation with a guy on his porch adjacent to the park. He told me they sat on their deck for 2017 as well. What luck to buy a home in the path of not 1 but 2 total solar eclipses and within 7 years of eachother.

Took me 4 hrs to get back to West St Louis on a typically 2hr trip. There was an accident within a half mile of 55 so we got turned around and ended up doing extra back tracking. We left like right after totality which maybe that was a mistake.

.... Someone mentioned the polite clouds. ....

Yes, it was very nice of those clouds to stay out of the way of the Sun/Moon for us in Indy.

I understand the clouds were not so considerate in other parts of the country. :)

-ERD50

Had perfect weather about 40 miles north of Dayton...wish they would have turned the street lights off so they didnt come on as we approached totality

Back
Top Bottom