Transition from ACA to MediCare?

Just an update for our recent experience from ACA to Medicare:

• Managed to get DW Social/Medicare app approved yesterday by speaking with the local SSA supervisor. Most of local agents don't answer the phone and local office is closed unless for critical items like submitting original doc with appointment only
  • Got the Medicare # and signed up medicare plan for DW today for starting on 11/01
  • Canceled DW ACA on the website yesterday for ending ACA on 10/31
Very close call, and its maybe easier or more predictable to apply Medicare alone first under the current SSA operation mode.

Just to update. I contacted 3 agents on the exchange. They all said just sign up like we have been. Then call the 800 number when it’s time for me to go on MediCare.
I’m not feeling to warm & fuzzy about it but I guess we’ll see. It would be the easiest way as long as nothing goes wrong. What could possibly go wrong. [emoji3]

Thanks
Murf

Just ran across this thread and interested in updates as I am in same situation as OP will turn 65 in Oct. with wife needing to stay on ACA into 2023. Called a CSR with the Marketplace and got what sounds like a scripted answer that advised to call back later in year to see if it would be more advantageous to remain on ACA plan or move to Medicare. I thought Medicare always became primary at 65 and wasn’t an either or option.

I quickly looked at the same BCBS plan I am interested in for joint coverage for my wife only in case we got separate plans. Using the same income estimate for her plan only, the premium was higher for her than for the joint plan. I guess this is to be expected with the same income estimate and the tax credit being lower. When looking at separate policies using the same income for both, appears you loose a good deal of the tax credit or does the exchange take this into account in some other manned when enrolling?

Back
Top Bottom