Treasury Direct Info Request

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I went to the Treasury Direct Website to get some tax information for 2106. When I went to logon I was taken to a screen that wanted all sorts of information on me including: SS#, driver license #, bank account number, bank routing number, address, phone, ect.

This information would be a gold mine for an identity thief. I realize that identity thieves can spoof just about anything they set their minds to.

Does anybody know if this is legit? Are other people getting this request?

Did you go to https://www.treasurydirect.gov ?

My account login looks the same as usual.

You didn't stumble onto the "Open a New Account" window did you?

Yes, I went to what I think is the official website. I entered my account number, and it went to the page asking for this information to confirm my identity.

I'd tried it again, and it worked well. Perhaps my bad?

I've never seen that information requested. Sometimes they send me a one time passcode (OTP) to my email address that I need to enter to complete the login.

I've never seen that information requested. Sometimes they send me a one time passcode (OTP) to my email address that I need to enter to complete the login.
Sometimes? Always for me, though I only go in once or twice a year.

Sometimes? Always for me, though I only go in once or twice a year.

I think if you haven't visited in 6 months they do the email verification.

I usually visit quarterly so I haven't gotten the email verification message in a while.

I went to the Treasury Direct Website to get some tax information for 2106. When I went to logon I was taken to a screen that wanted all sorts of information on me including: SS#, driver license #, bank account number, bank routing number, address, phone, ect. ...
In the future, all this information is required. :)

Forgive me, Chuckanut, I'm really not trying to be funny at your expense. Because what you saw seems wrong to me. The only time they needed any of that was when I first signed up. I'm not sure why they'd require re-doing the routing number. That bothers me.

I use TD quite a bit and have never gotten a request to re-do things. I do get the OTP sometimes.

Finally, I want to remind you that you (and everyone) should have seen your "personal image" during the password keyboard log in. Did you see any of that? If not, you were on a bad site. I hope you didn't give them the info. Don't forget the personal image! It helps you assure you are on the correct site.

Take care and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom