Truck campers

Lazyfabs

Recycles dryer sheets
There are several rv threads going on and didnt want to hijack or veer off orignal thread topic.

For those that have experience with truck campers has anyone had experience with the northlanb artic fox.

We do alot of skiing and were thinking of buying a sprinter 4x4 type rv or truck camper that would be better suited for winter type trips or designed with the idea of four season camping.

Thanks

You're talking about buying an extremely expensive Class B with 4x4--if you're talking a Sprinter or Mercedes based chassis. I seldom even see a Class B unit in commercial campgrounds, as they just don't have very much room. And they're not a good buy in a Recreational Vehicle.

SkiPro is talking about a 3/4 ton or one ton truck with a slide in over the cab camper. Such a vehicle is also very expensive--given the amount of room in them.

I write this sitting on a big leather couch in my 36' fifth wheel trailer that's located in the Blue Ridge Mountains. We do camp in winter, but have no desire to take any RV into snow country. It's much more comfortable to stay in condos or hotels when skiing.

Most bigger RVs you really don't want to be driving in the snow...at least I don't!

That being said, I disagree with the staying in the hotels for the type of winter activity we enjoy (riding snowmobiles). Almost all of the really great areas for riding in the Northwest do not have much in the way of hotels near. A 4x4 winterized camper that you could park right near the trailhead would be incredible after a long day of carving.

I'm getting a truck camper next year. Most likely an Eagle Cap 960. It will allow us to access primitive camping locations that a trailer cannot, or we can take along dirt bikes on a small trailer. We can visit friends and park in their driveway and not inconvenience anyone.

I'd argue that a 36' RV trailer isn't camping. It's RVing. I can take my camper down most back roads and even turn around on 'em if I come across a downed tree or something. Try THAT with a 36' trailer.

I find my camper ideal for skiing. Some resorts allow you to overnight in their parking lots. Most are located in or near public lands where you can stay the night as well. Sleeping in your own bed, with your own sheets, cooking and eating your own food is a huge reason I got a camper. I've read and heard enough horror stories about the filth in hotels and restaurants.

One other point I'd like to make; with a truck camper, I don't pay DMV fees for the camper unlike a RV trailer. I also have a truck I can use for a whole lot of other things than just camping or RVing. Also, it's easy to 'stealth' camp with a camper. It looks legit sitting in a parking lot overnight without attracting undue attention like a huge trailer would. I've been able to overnight in a lot of places RV's just couldn't.

Here's a shot at a boat ramp I use when I go ski and one from the camper window. The lake is near the resorts and the campground is closed in the winter, but the boat ramp stays open. No one has seemed to mind my staying overnight. I rarely see anyone other than a few retired old fishermen occasionally;
img_1794233_0_84141b39a84f87ba30fe5b75992b8135.html
img_1794233_1_d669c37eb78fa9a45a307e6e91245970.jpg

img_1794233_2_a1ffb5c8f2acdb7e735cae53bb028cf4.jpg

img_1794233_0_84141b39a84f87ba30fe5b75992b8135.html

Last edited:
I write this sitting on a big leather couch in my 36' fifth wheel trailer

Everyone does their own thing in regards to camping and enjoying the outdoors Bamaman. We prioritize other parts of the experience than you but certainly appreciate a "big leather couch." We just keep ours at home. ;)

I seldom even see a Class B unit in commercial campgrounds, as they just don't have very much room.

The reason you don't see Class Bs in commercial campgrounds is because they don't need to pay $50/night to sit on an open gravel lot 6 feet from their neighbour. Go to a nice park where the sites are in the trees, by a lake, and well away from their neighbours and you'll see lots of class B's (and small Cs and tent trailers).

I'm not knocking big As and fifth wheels - I'd seriously consider one if I was looking to fulltime - but many people like to give up some comfort in their "home" to get a better view.

I'm getting a truck camper next year. Most likely an Eagle Cap 960. It will allow us to access primitive camping locations that a trailer cannot, or we can take along dirt bikes on a small trailer. We can visit friends and park in their driveway and not inconvenience anyone.

That is a really nice unit. They've come a long way since I was a kid.

Not sure if their other models are also good ? They come pretty reasonable if you buy a 7+ year old one. Not sure if there are issues with the older ones.

For those that have experience with truck campers has anyone had experience with the northlanb artic fox.

Thanks

We had a transitional model of Arctic Fox which did not have the aluminum frame. We had no issues with the frame, but we had a roof leak which cost us 9000 in repairs. That said the quality of the corner jacks was poor so we installed a Stable-Lift system. The one slide out was not on a good drive system, so I would want to make certain the model you get had the latest upgrades. I might argue that other brands are better made these days.

We sold it and bought a Chalet triple slide out, and we love it. Major upgrades to all mechanisms and structure. However it listed for about 20K more than the comparable AF model. We take it on the road quite often with our dually and tow a 3 horse trailer to boot. We drive over the mountains in the winter with snow, and carry chains for all axles per law. Never needed them.

Chalet went out of the business of making truck campers, they cost too much to get the quality.

Dodge dually with Cumins and a commercial grade japanese transmission, you can go anywhere. We load and tow >20K pounds up passes at full speed.

We used a 2004 Lance camper (bought new) while snowmobiling in the Northwest. 6 years of winter use took its toll on the poor thing. The wood construction under the aluminum siding started to rot in the back. Inside condensation was pretty severe, even though we followed the recommendations to keep a window cracked open. It was stored under a carport which kept it dry when not in use. We had fun with it. If I was to buy another camper for winter use, it would be the all fiberglass, heavy insulated Big Foot.Bigfoot RV - Truck Campers & Travel Trailers - Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer

That is a really nice unit. They've come a long way since I was a kid.

Not sure if their other models are also good ? They come pretty reasonable if you buy a 7+ year old one. Not sure if there are issues with the older ones.

Eagle Cap is supposed to be on high-end of the quality spectrum. We have budgeted for new because DW is a germophobe and I want all the new upgrades like LED lighting and recliners instead of a dinette. I got a 4x4 dually diesel for <$50k out-the-door, so we're ahead of projections there.

Haven't seen your Hip tagline before. I saw Gordie and the boys many times in Dallas. My eardrums are about shot, however.

Back
Top Bottom