Ukraine bond fund?

dallas27

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just reading in the economist that ukraine raised the key rate to 30%. Was looking for a ukraine specific bond fund to make a play. Can't seem to find one.

Anyone know a ticker that might be close to what i am looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Anyone know a ticker that might be close to what i am looking for?

In short: there isn't one available for retail investors, I looked into it a few months ago. The bonds are only available via institutional platforms.

Alternative option is buy equity of Ukrainan listed companies with a cross-listing on big stock exchanges (like London or New York).

Unfortunately, the pickings there are slim too, and mostly banks where I frankly would not dare to tread.

One of the only non-bank companies I could find (disclaimer: I bought some stock) is MHP http://quotes.morningstar.com/stock/s?t=MHPC®ion=gbr&culture=en-US

If you really want ukrainan bonds you need to find and invest with this guy: Investing in government debt: Where others fear to tread | The Economist

Quoted yield aside, these bonds are trading at distressed levels and will likely be restructured. Depending on what the creditors agree to, I would expect to see a bond swap with the new bonds given for the old ones likely to have longer maturities and some combination of lower coupon and smaller face value.

Well, it depends.

In Greece for example there was a voluntary bond swap + haircut with the institutionals and governments.

Any retail investors didn't get hurt and the bonds are still being paid interest on. You could have had a triple digit return (!). Even with the haircut the damage was okish - basically redeem at then par value.

All this so as to avoid a formal default.

Ukraine is a bit different but the EU / US may try something similar to limit the economic damage it has sustained so far. Or it may be propped up further with IMF loans.

Obviously don't have a crystal ball but it's quite safe in my view at these levels. Likely worst case money back, best case triple digit returns. But it's not for the faint-hearted as there is a small meltdown risk.

I'm willing to bet nato countries help ukraine to keep the russia line from moving.

I'm willing to bet nato countries help ukraine to keep the russia line from moving.

A proxy war fought on Ukraine's territory will do nothing good for its creditworthiness.

Back
Top Bottom