Update on marrow donation.

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
I won't be donating.

Got a letter today.

...circumstances have changed and the patient is not ready for a transplant at this time.

They can't tell me the exact circumstances but list:
patient got worse
patient got better
doctor chose other treatment
-----------------------------------------------

I'm probably too old to be contacted again.

Time to get back on the blood donation schedule.

Thanks for the update. Sorry it didn't pan out but now you know how the process happens if there is a next time.

I've been on the registry for donating marrow for a long time and have never been contacted. What's the age limit?

I just read your first thread (I wasn't a member back then).

I've been on the list for a while - I can't give blood because of rules about having spent time in the UK and Mad Cow Disease, so bone marrow is my way to do "something" - and a few years ago, I got "the call". I was one of four possible candidates for donation to an 18-year-old female patient in the US. I went for lots of samples, waited for four weeks, checked my will (my Mom is a doctor: she works on the basis that general anaesthetic will not go well), and then got the news that I wasn't required. Like you, I don't know if it was because someone else was a better match, or "negative patient care outcome", or some other cause.

Since I have never done this type of thing, I can only assume the waiting for notification could be nerve-wracking.

Kudos to you for trying....:)

I was fortunate to know the person. The medical research people came up with a new use for an old drug and the patient went into remission for a looong time. They never considered bone marrow transplantation again.

It was wonderful of you to offer to do that for someone, wow, a stranger. But you know, giving blood is very important.:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom