Venting about ACA and requesting suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thankful for insurance but the ACA has allowed the system to overcharge older independent rate payers to subsidize others.

Not exactly sure where you got this.

The ACA limits the premiums for older individuals to no more than 3x the premiums for younger folks. That's lower than was the norm pre-ACA, and lower than alternative proposals at the time. It was a compromise at the time the law was enacted.

Certainly older folks pay "more". But to characterize that as an "overcharge" and a "subsidy" for others indicates a lack of understanding of how health insurance works and who uses the benefits of health insurance more.

I just completed my application and chose a "Classic Bronze" plan.

Deductible: $4500 individual, $9000 family
Out of pocket max: $7900 individual, $15800 family
Coinsurance: 50% after deductible

Monthly premium: $835

Luckily I've only got six more years until Medicare.

Do you have suggestion for an all purpose correct phrase for this..I'll gladly listen to anyone that can give us a "proper" name. A name that everyone will use and that doesn't have political connotations. What do you call it when you talk and post about it, I use ACA so I put my money where my mouth is.

I'm far from proper, but I do try not to be rude when expressing my opinions...

You were the one that complained about an improper term & then used one yourself. That's ridiculous to me & don't mind you calling me rude for you calling out out. Sad, really. If you're so worried about proper vs. common vernacular and offended by it, then use the full name of the act - whatever it is - vs. going after others for something you apparently don't care for. People understand what both Obamacare & ACA mean.

You were the one that complained about an improper term & then used one yourself. That's ridiculous to me & don't mind you calling me rude for you calling out out. Sad, really. If you're so worried about proper vs. common vernacular and offended by it, then use the full name of the act - whatever it is - vs. going after others for something you apparently don't care for. People understand what both Obamacare & ACA mean.

Too true... but you didn't really say what you think is correct ..and actually I understand bullying and apparently you do too.

I rather mildly asked posters if they would use the common verbiage ACA rather then the possibly politically charged nickname mainly so this wouldn't turn into a closed thread. Feel free to untwist your panties and get on with your day.

WADR ivinsfan, it seems to me that your are the one that has their knickers twisted as to people using the term Obamacare... I believe that to most people that ACA and Obamacare are analogous and that any pejorative connotation associated with Obamacare has evaporated to nothing.

Thanks for the interesting discussion. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom