Video Autoplay Hell

The last few months I have encountered sites that won't let you see their content until you disable ad blockers.

When that happens I just move on to the next site. I will NOT be blackmailed into disabling the ad blockers and seeing ads for products that I have no interest in.

Don't forget about reader mode in Safari now. That cuts the crap out immediately.

Thanks, I'll have to look for that. I do not recall seeing anything in the past that you could click on, but really wasn't looking for it either.

Thanks, I'll have to look for that. I do not recall seeing anything in the past that you could click on, but really wasn't looking for it either.

Safari has had this feature for a long time. Up in the URL bar, sometimes a column of bars appears on the left (sort of looks like a sheet of notepaper). When you click on this, Safari turns on reader mode, and you get just the article and photos associated with the article and none of the ads or decorations. It only appears on pages that have article type content, not forums, etc. It wipes off most of the clutter.

Safari has had this feature for a long time. Up in the URL bar, sometimes a column of bars appears on the left (sort of looks like a sheet of notepaper). When you click on this, Safari turns on reader mode, and you get just the article and photos associated with the article and none of the ads or decorations. It only appears on pages that have article type content, not forums, etc. It wipes off most of the clutter.

I just found it, that is a wonderful fix until the more permanent fix is rolled out.

Thanks again!

In Firefox, type "about:config" in the address bar, say you'll be careful, type "media.autoplay.enabled" in the search (it will probably say 'true'). Double click (change to 'false'). You're done.

Not that this will prevent everything, but every little bit helps.

Thanks, just added Noscript. I learn so much from this great forum and its members!
Noscript is great for preventing web pages from doing stuff, but the problem is, it prevents web pages from doing stuff. I found that white listing in Noscript got tiresome. I'd go to a web site, and it didn't seem to be doing productive things. Then I'd :facepalm: and enable scripting on the site, and suddenly things would work. So, just be warned, that you've added some hassle to your browsing in exchange for the control you're seeking.

In Firefox, type "about:config" in the address bar, say you'll be careful, type "media.autoplay.enabled" in the search (it will probably say 'true'). Double click (change to 'false'). You're done.
Apparently youtube videos won't play, even if you click on 'em with this setting :facepalm:

Apparently youtube videos won't play, even if you click on 'em with this setting :facepalm:

It works fine for me, BUT the first video in a session won't run. Try going to youtube and click on a video. For me, it won't run. But the second and all subsequent ones do just fine.

It just goes to prove that doing the same thing over sometimes does get different results.:LOL:

Firefox has a new browser called Focus that contains ad blocking also targeting videos:

One of the most prominent features of the app is that it blocks ads that track a user's online activity. Those shoes you once regrettably searched for on Amazon will no longer follow you on every website you visit. Ad trackers can also slow down your mobile browsing experience.

Focus marks the latest outgrowth of our escalating concern over the safety of our personal data and the reach of advertisers. Browsers are increasingly packing in anonymous modes that don't let others on the web track your activity, and Apple and Google say they're going to block videos that autoplay.
It's available for the iPhone and iPad. Coming to Android now.

The article link is here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom