Waiting for Barry to impact

Yes--here is a Wikipedia article on winter storm naming https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_storm_naming_in_the_United_States

Seems there are good reasons not to name them; the Weather Channel is the only entity involved.
Ok, it's one thing to name a major blizzard. New England's Blizzard of 78 come to mind.

Its another thing for the WC to name every storm bringing 3 inches of snow, highlighting how many millions will be affected along with a complete tutorial on how to survive the onslaught with Jim Cantore finding the deepest snowbank to stand in.

Pure alarmism.

Here in MN we have a forecaster who claims a nice day as a top ten weather day. Only problem is he names 60 or 70 of them a year.

It only really matters where the Weather Channel's Jim Cantore" shows up.....live coverage all weekend, with lots of talking heads, and action shots.

After 24/7 type coverage on all channels... 28 inches of rain, etc., I wonder about the science of meteorology.

The cost of what took place?

After 24/7 type coverage on all channels... 28 inches of rain, etc., I wonder about the science of meteorology.

The cost of what took place?
There's science, and then there is alarmism and TV ratings.

A good deal of scientists are very concerned over the current state of affairs on media reporting of all things weather and climate.

For example: the naming of winter storms by TWC is extremely controversial and generally not well received in the scientific community.

Not counting this thread, I've this storm got 10 seconds of my attention. Three seconds looking at the precip radar on the tv screen in the restaurant last night (first I'd hear of the storm), one second saying "wow those are cool colors", and the rest was a one sentence description of the thing by my buddy. The only reason I even commented was it looked like maybe my lawn would get a needed watering. There are cases where they strap you to a chair and force you to watch something (thanks T Al, for that one), but not usually WC.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom