Wal-Mart greeter jobs: get 'em before they're gone!

I'm not sure if our SuperSprawlMart has greeters or not, because it's been so long since I've gone there. I haven't come across anything that I need, that I can't find in other local stores......cheaper!!! Besides, our SuperSprawlMart has (IIRC) 23 check-out lanes, and the times that I have gone in there, I've never seen more than 4 or at most 5 lanes open regardless of time, day, or season. Usually they only had 2 lanes open...one 'express' and one regular lane....and people lined up 10 or 12 deep! :rant:

We have a huge farm store across the highway from SuperSprawlMart, and although they don't have 'official' greeters, the service counter is just inside the front door and the folks working behind it almost always greet folks as they enter.....plus, they're always very pleasant! And anytime that I've needed help finding something there, all that I had to do was ask ANY employee and they would either tell me or show me, or they would immediately call someone over who would direct me. They have 16 check-out lanes, and there are always at least 8 lanes open.....and if the lines get more than about 4 customers in them, they open more check-outs!!! Plus they are one of the least expensive retailers in the area....clothing, hardware, groceries, housewares, lawn & garden supplies and equipment....oh, and farm supplies and equipment too!!! :clap:

At one of the Walmarts here it is a good idea to go armed. If unarmed you run the risk of being mugged by roving bands of young people. And they are just the employees. The customers are worse. Did I mention that I hate Walmart?

Wow, tough neighborhood!

There were several people in my office who were going to be eligible to retire around the same time I was. We gave much discussion time to the merits of being a Wal-Mart greeter as a retirement job - no stress and a major screw-up would be sending someone to the wrong aisle.

Now it seems even that lofty aspiration is gone.:(

And, interestingly, the one comment that was posted on the news site about the elevator operator article was in defense of those jobs. :facepalm:

Finally, in defense of capitol elevator operators. The operators actually provide a valuable security role (for far less than putting a Capitol Policeman in every elevator). As there are so many people coming through the capitol building, and the architecture is such that some elevators lead to areas not open to the public, or restricted for staff, the elevator operators are not mere button pushers. In the main office buildings, there are not elevator operators - this is mostly restricted to the capitol building itself.

This person probably rides those elevators daily, and is representative of the cutting edge thinking on efficiency emanating from inside the 495 beltway. :banghead:

I'm certain this is exactly how Jeff Bezos, Herb Kelleher, and Jim Casey approached building their businesses. ;)

Worst story ever. I'm going to boycott Sams and Walmart too just because of this.
DW refuses to shop at WalMart after their pharmarcy jerked her around years ago, and I stay away in support of her.

I also never liked WalMart's practice of creating job structures that allow for entitlements and then actively teaching their employees how to take maximum advantage of any federal, state or local benefits they may be entitled to. In essence, the "lower prices" are not as low as they seem after subsidies provided by taxpayers. To be clear, I don't fault the employees...
The Democratic staff of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce estimated the breakdown of costs for one 200-employee Wal-Mart store:

* $36,000 a year for free or reduced school lunches, assuming that 50 families of employees qualify.

* $42,000 a year for Section 8 rental assistance, assuming that 3% of the store employees qualify.

* $125,000 a year for federal tax credits and deductions for low-income families, assuming that 50 employees are heads of households with a child, and 50 employees are married with two children.

* $108,000 a year for the additional federal contribution to state children's health insurance programs, assuming that 30 employees with an average of two children qualify.

* $100,000 a year for additional Title I expenses, assuming 50 families with two children qualify.

* $9,750 a year for the additional costs of low-income energy assistance.

Overall, the committee estimates that one 200-person Wal-Mart store may result in an excess cost of $420,750 a year for federal taxpayers.

Last edited:
We gave much discussion time to the merits of being a Wal-Mart greeter as a retirement job - no stress and a major screw-up would be sending someone to the wrong aisle.
Absolutely! I can't quite understand why some people bag on the position of Wal-Mart greeter as being an awful job. I think it's because it wouldn't be fun if you were old and relying on such a position as a major source of income. However, if your basic needs are taken care of, and you just need a part-time gig for some fun money, I think it would be fine. No responsibility, no stress, you just have to stand around and say hi to people for a few hours. Geez - I do that when I'm walking around my neighborhood on a regular day :LOL:

DW refuses to shop at WalMart after their pharmarcy jerked her around years ago, and I stay away in support of her.

I also never liked WalMart's practice of creating job structures that allow for entitlements and then actively teaching their employees how to take maximum advantage of any federal, state or local benefits they may be entitled to. In essence, the "lower prices" are not as low as they seem after subsidies provided by taxpayers. To be clear, I don't fault the employees...

I didn't realize that Walmart actively did this. But, after reading the excerpt, it averages ~$2k/family. When compared to just the property taxes (~$4k/yr) DW and I have paid during the past two decades to pay for our neighbors' children to attend public school (note that we have no children), the Walmart example doesn't seem out of the ordinary. I'm not complaining about our property taxes, just pointing out that it seems to be the norm.

I didn't realize that Walmart actively did this. But, after reading the excerpt, it averages ~$2k/family. When compared to just the property taxes (~$4k/yr) DW and I have paid during the past two decades to pay for our neighbors' children to attend public school (note that we have no children), the Walmart example doesn't seem out of the ordinary. I'm not complaining about our property taxes, just pointing out that it seems to be the norm.
Not looking for a fight, and I know you're not either. But WalMart is competing with other retailers who are not subsidized this way, level playing field? Property taxes don't have competitors. Apologies if I've missed your point...

In essence, the "lower prices" are not as low as they seem after subsidies provided by taxpayers. To be clear, I don't fault the employees...
Then why do you fault the employer who is providing a service to their employees (showing them how to obtain government benefits to which they are entitled). Employer provided health care insurance isn't required by law, I'll bet these employees would rather have the extra money in their paychecks and the government freebies than the lower paychecks it would require if Walmart paid the bill.

I love this spin:
Overall, the committee estimates that one 200-person Wal-Mart store may result in an excess cost of $420,750 a year for federal taxpayers.
Really. Wal-Mart results in excess costs. How much would federal taxpayers pay if these people were unemployed?

It's not like the guy changing tires at Wal-Mart or ringing people up at the register are going to be paid $40 per hour and get great health care if Wal-Mart leaves town. The folks are happy to have the work, the customers are happy with the products and services. If we don't like magnitude of the giveaways it seems clear where the "blame" lies, and it isn't with the recipients or Wal-Mart.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom