Watched "Argylle" on Apple TV (Minor Spoilers)

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I watched "Argylle" last night on Apple TV. This is a farcical take on spy movies.

Basic plot is that a novelist that writes spy novels finds that her latest manuscript is imitating real life just a bit too much. Soon she finds herself on the run trying to recover a thumb drive containing critical information.

I like spy movies (see my avatar and screen name.) I don't mind farces if they are done well. This one...I alternately loved and hated it. The plot has more twists and turns than a Krazy Straw, sometimes I think they were inserted merely for shock value because they didn't always enhance the plot.

There are a couple of signature scenes that the director must be proud of, but to me they came off as extremely unlikely and frankly, ridiculous. (Colored smoke bombs in hallways; skating with makeshift ice skates.) There are the usual fight scenes and shoot-em-up scenes that are done so over-the-top your cumulative suspension of unbelief ends up in outer space. Consider (minor spoiler): "Vascular corridor." Eventually, your brain just says: No More.

There is some dodgy CGI work in here and one of the characters is a cat. After a while I was looking to spot which James Bond or Mission Impossible movie that "Argylle" was attempting to satirize. There was some enjoyment to be had in this endeavor.

For some reason the Beatles song "Now and Then" makes it into the movie. The producer must have bought the rights to it as it appears at least three times.

The director is Matthew Vaughn. If you've seen "Kingsmen: Secret Service" you already have an idea of the hijinks and unlikely events that you will encounter in "Argylle."

Pretty good cast: Bryce Dallas Howard (recent Jurassic Park movies) Sam Rockwell (Academy award winner), Henry Cavill, Bryan Cranston, Samuel L. Jackson, Catherine O'Hara.

Bottom Line? I give it a 6 out of 10. I made it all the way to the end, which is saying something considering the incredible amount of fakey scenes it contained.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom