Went Down The Air Fryer Rabbit Hole

It’s also maintaining a high temp.

Every food safety website in the US will conform to the "70-125f" super danger zone guidelines. And they will insist that the only way to be safe is to hold food for X minutes at X temperature (usually 165f)

The problem is that there are other ways to kill enough food borne microbes that aren't chapter-and-verse the food safety guidelines.

For instance, if we hold a food at an internal temperature of 145f for 30 minutes, it is every bit as effective as holding food for 15 seconds at 165f or 1/100th of a second at 212f.

The difference being that some foods can take high temperatures and others are utterly ruined by them. For instance, poultry white meat begins to dry out at 145f. Fact of life. Cooking it to 165f *will* yield an inferior product, no matter what the cook does. (Dark meat can take the heat, and turns into a lovely confit when held at 165f.)

This is why most Thanksgiving dinners in the US are, well, failures. It's not the fault of the cook -- nobody is giving them the information they need to cook the turkey without ruining it. Either they get a turkey breast which tastes like sawdust; or greasy, unsafe dark meat.

The only way to thread this needle is to cook the dark and white meat separately at different temperatures -- confit the dark and be gentle with the white.

It is the same with canning and holding hot food. A health inspector will shut a restaurant down for holding food at 145f. But done correctly, it is quite safe. The problem is finding a crew which understands pasteurization times and temperatures. One person screws up and a lot of people are spending the weekend in the bathroom.

So they go with one time, one temperature, and expect everyone to conform. The really great restaurants cheat these rules like crazy and just hope not to get caught doing it.

Wife got an air fryer 3 months ago. Used it once then sat on the kitchen counter. I finally gave it a try and now I use it more than the stove.

On page 1, someone mentioned having to clean the air fryer tray/slide-out drawer. Wife a;so found some inserts that fit right in there and contain the juices from cooking process. They look like an oversized filter for a large coffee maker machine but made from baking paper material (don't know the right word for it).

We've been retired for a while, and we have and use the Foreman Grill and a Crock Pot. When either one dies, we go to a couple garage sales and invariably we find one for a couple bucks as a replacement. Our current Foreman Grill is larger and has removable plates so they can be put in the dishwasher. Very nice.

DW had to choose a gift for a w*rk anniversary gift. Nothing we really needed, so ended up with an air fryer. It's a Power XL Vortex 7 quart model. Got it yesterday and made fries this morning for breakfast instead of hash browns. Turned out pretty good. We can get a "free" grill plate (just pay $14.99 S&H). Not sure if we'll get that or not. I guess it's for burgers and chicken and stuff like that. Can't see me ever making burgers in this thing as the grill or a cast iron skillet would seem much better options. Now have to figure out where to store this behemoth.

I ended up calling an audible. The air fryer (Instant Vortex 6QT) that I ordered was supposed to arrive on 4/6, then got moved back to 5/6. So I ended ordering a different model. Ordered a Yedi Evolution 6.8 QT, that included some accessories (like small pizza pan). Should arrive tomorrow. I opted for the Yedi mainly as along with in stock, prefer the idea of ceramic coating cooking surface instead of teflon.

In this rabbit hole adventure, one thing I realized is there are so many different models. Makes comparing a bit overwhelming. My need is if I can cook in the air fryer what I currently cook in the turbo glass oven this is replacing, that's good enough. Every thing extra is gravy.

Back
Top Bottom