What’s your favorite part of the turkey?

Dark meat. I brine for 2 days, then soak in fresh water for a day, then place in the smoker for about 45 minutes at 250 degrees. A brined turkey, without any stuffing, cooks incredibly fast and we have a small bird. 10 to 12 pounds.

Gotta go with the dark meat, but I love all the sides just as much - mashed potatoes w/ giblet gravy, traditional bread stuffing, cranberry/orange sauce, baked butternut squash, honey-ginger carrots. Yum. And blueberry pie with real whipped cream for dessert.........
Oh, and glass or two of good chardonnay to wash it down.:)

Another vote for dark meat--more tender and flavorful, along with dressing and gravy. Heck, the whole meal is delish! Funny, we only make it once a year when it is sooo good.

Dark meat. Actually I like the neck, back, heart, and gizzard the best.

The dark meat.

But truth to tell, I like the side veggies better. Started cooking those yesterday. Roasted butternut squash, roasted Cape Cod turnip (sweeter than other turnips), roasted brussels sprouts with red onions and bacon, and slow-cooked sauerkraut with apple and onion (and a bit of bacon).

I've only got the mashed potato, mushrooms and onions, and gravy left to do today. Oh, and the turkey...

Next day(s) sandwiches.

Oh, that sounds delicious..........I love brussels sprouts. Have to try that sometime.

When I was a kid, I loathed brussels sprouts. As a grownup, they're my favorite veggie. The first good thing I ever made with them was brussels sprouts cockaigne: cook lots of garlic in butter and olive oil in a big skillet , remove the garlic when it browns, add in halved sprouts cut side down and cook until tender, serve drizzled with the butter and topped with shredded parmesan. Who said veggies have to be good for you? :LOL:

But I can't do recipes like that anymore. What I usually do is trim them, halve them if small, toss in a little olive oil and spread out over a baking tray or two. Add quartered red onion, a sliced lemon, kosher salt to taste, and sprinkle with a good bittersweet smoked pimenton. 400 degree oven until browned and tender. For a meal on a tray, add boneless skinless chicken thighs to the same tray. (Any crispy leaves are the cook's perquisite.)

Back
Top Bottom