What are your stocks that are up YTD?

Large taxable brokerage account.

Total portfolio return -6.85% YTD
Not surprised I'm outperforming the S&P 500 YTD.
My portfolio is conservative & leans towards income producing stocks, funds. reits.
On days/years the market is bullish, my portfolio lags the averages, when it's bearish, I lose less.

Johnson & Johnson 6.25%
Kraft Heinz 5.49%
Kinder Morgan 27.57%
Eli Lilly 14.34%
National Health investors 3.16%

Verizon 0.50%
WEC Energy 10.24%

Last edited:
I own a lot of defense, pharma and o&g so I think all of those names are up YTD. I really should pull a list.

For you, I just scrolled through the Quicken screen to count them.

127 stocks and ETFs
3 money funds + various I bonds
25 MFs
54 options currently

The MFs are legacy (I bought decades ago), and I don't pay much attention to them. At this point, they are only 11% of portfolio.

The 54 options are position counts, meaning I may have as many as 10 contracts in a particular position. The majority are weekly options; about 1/2 will expire tomorrow, and the rest will expire next Friday.

Too much work for me! I was doing covered call and naked puts for a while, and tried to have ~ a dozen for some diversification. I found that to be too much work (mine were all short term, one month out).

I did well for a time, then I think I saw reversion to the mean, and decided 12 was not enough diversification, so I quit while I was ahead. Though I still believe the concept is sound, selling calls is like being the house in Vegas, since you are the one putting up the money, you can expect to make money off the gamblers who put up a little, and hope for a big pay-off (the call buyers). But, one should expect a small boost, not to make a killing.

-ERD50

KMI +25%

COIN +21% (just purchased 5/24)
TEVA +20%
TTE +18%

SH +12%
SO + 10%
ABBV +9%
SPHD +6%
VPU + 4%
SGOL +1%

Portfolio is down 7.92% for the year though, still beats the S&P 500 Index handily.

Last edited:
... selling calls is like being the house in Vegas, since you are the one putting up the money, you can expect to make money off the gamblers who put up a little, and hope for a big pay-off (the call buyers). But, one should expect a small boost, not to make a killing.

-ERD50

Exactly.

I made just a few % extra via selling covered calls, and occasionally cash-covered puts. Done right, these extra gains are on top of the gains from the stocks. But this extra gain far exceeds what I spend, and as mentioned before elsewhere, pays quite well per hour spent. Way more per hour than I ever made while working, and I had a well-paid job. It's fun too.

One needs a stash of a reasonable size. A few percent of a $100K portfolio does not get you much.

Last edited:
The market went nuts today. Only 10 of my 127 stocks are down today.

My best stock, OXY, is now +129.5% YTD, instead of +124.9% YTD.

My worst stock, TER, is now -38.6% YTD, instead of -39.2% YTD.

I sold one call and one put today. I'm trying to achieve about a $1,000 per month with this gambling. My oils and pipelines were way up today keeping my stash up almost 2% YTD. At my age, my goal is capital preservation so I am heavy T Bills and very light equities.

I have mostly VTI, VTSAX or VOO. But I do have a REIT paying 9%. The stock price is up 5.22% + 4.5% in dividends. But I'll admit it has a very spikey chart. I also have VWILX an international fund down 28% this year, but it gets worse, it's down 43% since Aug last year.

Attachments

• NRZ 4.jpg
    NRZ 4.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 18
I also have VWILX an international fund down 28% this year, but it gets worse, it's down 43% since Aug last year.

Vanguard International Growth Fund Admiral
I've owned this in my Vanguard 401(k) since I started it in 1997

It's certainly been awful for the past 52 weeks, but according to market watch, it's 10 year annualized return is 10.19% Vs 14.12% for the S&P 500 which puts it in the top 1% for it's category/sector.

It also paid huge capitol gains in 2021.
2021 Capital gain distribution $18.03
2021 Income distribution $1.50

... I also have VWILX an international fund down 28% this year, but it gets worse, it's down 43% since Aug last year.

I don't have this fund, but look it up out of curiosity. From Aug 31, 2021 to April 30, 2022, it is down 32%, better than your number.

Perhaps you did not count the dividend.

Profits YTD on:
VDE, ABBV, DOW, CC, CTVA, MRK, MAR, KMI, OIH, CAH, GLD, VALE.
Looking at these, the up themes are energy/ag/basic materials (inflation plays) or travel (MAR) or drug (ABBV).

I also have profits on recent acquisitions: TWTR, ABNB, U, PL, NVDA. These have all been bought for the bounce (ha ha) except for PL which I've bought and sold several times.

The rest of the list (quite lengthy) is negative. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom