What do so with unused 2.5" SSD Drives & M.2 SSDs

Various "experts" say that formatting with windows will remove all data if you unclick the "quick" option. It seems too easy
The devil is in the details. For most folks it's probably good enough but the data is still recoverable by a knowledgeable IT person with the skills and tools.

If you want to save the HD for reuse and want to be sure the data is deleted quickly and permanently you could use a degausser. If you have money to blow. Otherwise use one of the free wiping programs. If you don't care about reusing the HD, a hammer or drill will work, or like me, I've put several high powered rifle shots through them at distance.

Warning, most HD are pretty hard and thick. Most pistol ammo won't penetrate a standard sized HD. (Ask me how I know:)) They make some nice dents though. However, ricochets can be really dangerous.

Last edited:
Various "experts" say that formatting with windows will remove all data if you unclick the "quick" option. It seems too easy
In Windows versions going back to Vista to currently, the full format option (not quick) will overwrite with zeros. It would be very difficult and require special equipment to recover anything in that case. Recovery apps won't do the trick - people have tried. lol

Last edited:
In Windows versions going back to Vista to currently, the full format option (not quick) will overwrite with zeros. It would be very difficult and require special equipment to recover anything in that case. Recovery apps won't do the trick - people have tried. lol

This is the easiest and it comes with all windows versions.

https://www.diskpart.com/articles/diskpart-clean-all-ssd-7201.html

No need for any hoop jumping or special software.

So for pre Vista diskpart and for modern Windows full format for pretty good erasing and the 7.62x39 or similar for the most definitive solution?

I use the BFH ( Big Friendly Hammer ). I have a big stack of the shiny disks from the old school drives to make stuff out of too.
Once you pull a drive apart and get the disks out, it is also done in. The controller board and arm and disks are a unit. You cannot get them indexed in another drive. If you are the NSA with an unlimited budget and a staff and a scanning electron microscope, you can read the 1's and 0's. picture weeks of time to get a photo of aunt Edna off the drive.

I've run a computer recycling program since 1991, & we use those older SSDs to upgrade the storage for special education teachers. Check around, & I'm sure you'll find a local program similar to mine. What's useless to most people is like gold to teachers & students!

This wiping disk talk has me motived, when I have some time, to do some wiping of a HDD or flash drive in Linux via the DD command.

I won't throw caution to the wind though as I'll test with a spare laptop on a drive I don't mind getting wiped out.

I always physically destroy a drive before disposing of it. I just won't take a chance something is left behind.

I have Learned one can have too many backups also. That is why I am going to sell all these.

Here is what I will have once they all have gone:

1) Synology NAS with 2 x 8TB disks set up a JBOD and Auto Synchronized, each is a copy of the other.
2) Media Player 1 with a 4TB Hard Drive Synchronized with the NAS
3) Media Player 2 with a 4TB Hard Drive - (Thinking of selling this one as it is just a backup of Media Player 1.
4) 3 Laptops all with Wodges of SSDs, each stored their own Image Backup files on dedicated backup partitions and synchronized with the NAS.

Media Player have all our Pictures, Software install packages, DVD Rips, Music CD Rips, TV Series Rips and Movie Rips. All of which synchronize to the NAS disks.

So, you see, we are well protected and do not need anything else.
Offsite backups are really needed to protect your data from disasters like a house fire.

Four or five times now I have dumped everything with a plug or a wire or a battery at BestBuy recycle rack. one of those huge BB carts, filled to the rim. My stuff, my parents stuff, neighbor, girlfriend, .... its not electronics, its metal.

uses for old drives

In the past I have re-tasked old drives :
1. In external enclosures as backup drives for my pc and one for the wife's.
2. Converted all movies to digital format then used in an enclosure connected to my router so the "library" is available for the whole house including my Roku.
Did the same for my music library. Also allows me to have multiple copies for updating/adding and as duplicate backup.
3. (m2 ssd)used to create my "playlist" then plug the enclosure into my truck usb.

I am sure there more ways to re use them.

Update:

I ended up selling a lot of the parts on would you believe it Facebook marketplace. It took a while, and I have plenty of time, but sooner or later folks came over and purchased them, not the same person obviously. Problem is, it seems like a never-ending battle. Since then, I have updated to even more memory, I just love these Samsung 990 4tb M.2 Single Sided SSDs. Now I have another couple of M.2 PCIe Fast 512gb memory sticks.

I did not bother with eBay as I found I could sell them cheaper privately.

The only issue with Marketplace is (and Craigslist if you use that), you do need to vet the buyer as well as you can. I have found if they give you their phone number and text rather than message, I have had no issues. All even appreciated a call to explain directions etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom