What does work cost - Ted talk

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The speakers words that got me (paraphrase) :

" At the end of your life, what would you pay to get those hours spent working back "

Wow! That should be required viewing for anyone thinking of joining this forum.

Thanks for posting!

Great TEDx chat.`

Luckily I've always tried to pay cash & abhor debt.
Best wishes....

Last edited:
Year ago I used to know a guy who said:
"Why should I go to work and make $40 an hour and then have to pay a plumber/electrician $100 an hour to come do something I could've done myself?"
"Things go on sale during the day. By the time I get home the sale items are all gone and I've lost money"

Of course, he was just fundamentally lazy and would find any excuse to not go to work but he did have some sort of twisted point.

Obviously, nobody should work. Ever.

:D

heh heh heh - Swamp living can also work. :cool: Good post.

He did sort of gloss over the part where most people have to work - and save - hard BEFORE they can start questioning whether or not there's value in continuing to work.

But I can certainly see that I reached a point where I was more or less using his math. The odds that I could survive without working were good enough that I could weigh that against the value of continuing.

As living on a boat, I only did that for three months. I'm seriously considering some longer cruises, but haven't made the leap to full-time live-aboard yet.

Escaping the hamster wheel

Early in my career, a close friend left his "serious", "professional" j*b in the nation's capital and instead took a job as a waiter at an upscale hotel in Bermuda. It paid much less, but he was young, single and healthy so he didn't need much. He earned enough to rent a small apartment and stock the fridge with beer. Most of his meals were comped, and he could walk or moped anywhere he needed to go on the island.

He may have been only waiting tables, but he was waiting tables in a tropical paradise. And loving it.

I, by comparison, was trudging along on the corporate treadmill and struggling to provide for a wife and growing family. Despite some envy at my buddy's freedom and easy lifestyle, I thought it unsustainable. So I asked him, "It may be all beaches and cream now when you're 25, but you're not building any security for the future. What will you do when you're 50?"

He smiled and said "I'll be a waiter in paradise. And loving it." It blew my mind, and proved to be a invaluable lesson about stretching one's paradigms.

I'm at the point where I am working for health benefits, and padding a 401K to have an easy retirement. I would love to live off grid on a sailboat, but...

Early in my career, a close friend left his "serious", "professional" j*b in the nation's capital and instead took a job as a waiter at an upscale hotel in Bermuda. It paid much less, but he was young, single and healthy so he didn't need much. He earned enough to rent a small apartment and stock the fridge with beer. Most of his meals were comped, and he could walk or moped anywhere he needed to go on the island.

He may have been only waiting tables, but he was waiting tables in a tropical paradise. And loving it.

I, by comparison, was trudging along on the corporate treadmill and struggling to provide for a wife and growing family. Despite some envy at my buddy's freedom and easy lifestyle, I thought it unsustainable. So I asked him, "It may be all beaches and cream now when you're 25, but you're not building any security for the future. What will you do when you're 50?"

He smiled and said "I'll be a waiter in paradise. And loving it." It blew my mind, and proved to be a invaluable lesson about stretching one's paradigms.

Had a girlfriend like this. She is still in MX making it work. No kids, which is key to her success, and not a real steady partner either. I think she like sublets an apartment to get buy or something. She also lived off rice and beans very minimalist. Me, I like blowing like 100s and 1000s of dollars on experiences and trips etc with my family. She is stuck in MX.

As living on a boat, I only did that for three months. I'm seriously considering some longer cruises, but haven't made the leap to full-time live-aboard yet.

JUST DO IT!!

We've been living aboard for just over a year now after retiring last year. It has been FANTASTIC! Go where we want, when we want.

Don't like the neighborhood/neighbors? Go some where else! It was incredibly liberating to sell the house and get rid of all of our "possessions". We have come to value experiences over "things".

Seeing lots of sights and towns in FL after cruising down from NC - Currently in JAX, heading for the keys for the winter.

Go for it!

Attachments

• SCOUT_Sunset (Large).jpg
    SCOUT_Sunset (Large).jpg
    233 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Up to a point I see his point......

As part of my LBYM thinking I often asked myself before a purchase - Would I rather have an extra NN hours to do as I please or would I rather have this thing?

OTOH, he glosses over the fact that during our working years we are not working all our waking hours. His example assumes we do nothing but sleep and work for 45 years. Yet most of us have time during those years to spend with friends, read a book, take a walk in the park, spend a day at a museum, travel etc. etc. etc.

Still, I agree with the premise that pursuing material goods takes a lot of our very valuable time.

Last edited:
Being a waiter at 50 probably isn’t much fun when one starts to experience physical issues. I am too much of a homebody to be gone more than 3-4 weeks. Last year we were on a 6 week driving trip and cut it short by 2 on mutual agreement. Both of us and the dogs were ready to go home.

Up to a point I see his point......

As part of my LBYM thinking I often asked myself before a purchase - Would I rather have an extra NN hours to do as I please or would I rather have this thing?

OTOH, he glosses over the fact that during our working years we are not working all our waking hours. His example assumes we do nothing but sleep and work for 45 years. Yet most of us have time during those years to spend with friends, read a book, take a walk in the park, spend a day at a museum, travel etc. etc. etc.

Still, I agree with the premise that pursuing material goods takes a lot of our very valuable time.

I agree. I worked for 33 years but enjoyed a full life on evenings and weekends during that time. I also really like having access to grid electricity and owning a home and have no desire to live off grid on a boat.

That being said, he did make some good points.

I agree, it's great for those who have the means (time and money) to pursue hobbies, interests etc but the point he made is also valid. People spend their lifetime working hard only to die rich.

Back
Top Bottom