What to do with 2022 Roth IRA contribution while waiting for January 1st?

J277

Dryer sheet wannabe
Just curious what I should do. It’s been sitting in my brokerage account as cash for a few months now. Watching my accounts go up has made me feel like maybe I should just invest it all year round and then swap it into my IRA on January first so I don’t miss out on a years worth of gains on 6k of capital?

VTSAX and chill. Today is the best day. Tomorrow the next best. Etc.

At this point if you are putting in on Jan 2, I'd just wait or throw it in with other brokerage funds and sell when needed.

VTSAX and chill. Today is the best day. Tomorrow the next best. Etc.

At this point if you are putting in on Jan 2, I'd just wait or throw it in with other brokerage funds and sell when needed.

Yea the latter is what I’m thinking for next year at least. So I don’t end up in this situation next year.

I think at this point it might be a moot point. But I think next year I’ll just invest all my funds for the entire year and come January 2023 cash out 6k from my brokerage to throw into my IRA.

maybe I should just invest it all year round and then swap it into my IRA on January first so I don’t miss out on a years worth of gains on 6k of capital?

Yes, anything beyond the emergency fund should be fully invested according to your asset allocation. In our prime earning years, we should be maxing out the Roth, deductible IRA/401k (and any other eligible tax deferred accounts), and saving more than that in a regular brokerage.

You could continue to keep it in cash or cash equivalent, but change your AA in a tax-preferenced account to slightly more aggressive (i.e., $6k more stocks, $6k less bonds/cash). Then, come January, move the cash into the Roth, and undo the other change.

I’m leaving mine in cash. $7K is not all that much and 2022 is only 2 months away.

Boring, I know.

Back
Top Bottom