What to do with Precious Metals

You just need to remember, precious metals are money, nothing else is. Stocks, bonds and cash are just currency. When the $hit hits the fan, precious metals ( ie money) soars in value and all else tanks. 5-10% is considered an equal inverse hedge to an economic hyper-inflationary meltdown. Just don't consider a precious metal fund or "certificate of holdings" the same thing.

Thank you for the additional advice and links. We're still discussing the best strategy, but leaning towards holding until the end of the year and see what happens. I don't think DH and I are on the same page as far as having Precious Metals, in our overall investment portfolio. But since it's not a high percentage, it's not worth a huge debate.
USAGX holds companies that are in the metals and mining business. Refer to Yahoo or any financial site to find out the holdings and other important fund information. Also, try USAA https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/mc_0050?akredirect=true to see their explanation of recent decline.

AFAIK, you do not hold any gold because you have this fund. I think you said it is in taxable account. In that case, I would hold, and watch how it rebounds over time. Collect the dividend in December and go out to dinner.

If you want to move this to Vanguard, there are ways to do it, but I might be persuaded to sell if I needed the losses.

If you have an in-house dispute about gold, it might help to define exactly what you are trying to accomplish with USAGX. I think you need to discuss the goals, and define how USAGX fits into the mix (or doesn't).

Even though you say this is only 2.5%, so of little impact, it really was a commitment of 5% at the time. So I think this is significant. At the time, your plan committed enough to this area to make a significant tilt over time. So it ends up being education which cost you 2.5%, at least at this juncture.

Back
Top Bottom