What we die from and what we read about

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
An interesting study comparing what we die from vs. what we read about and search for.

Does the news reflect what we die from?

What's interesting is that what Americans search on Google is a much closer reflection of what kills us than what is presented in the media.
The included table shows the differences graphically (top ten causes of death):
Causes-of-death.jpg

News is news, not a 1:1 scale accounting for what goes on in the world. They aren't going to report every car that drives on the highway, but rather the one that gets in a fiery wreck. They don't report everyone who goes into a store, but rather the one who goes in with a gun. I don't know why anyone would expect them to report every death equally.

News is news, not a 1:1 scale accounting for what goes on in the world. They aren't going to report every car that drives on the highway, but rather the one that gets in a fiery wreck. They don't report everyone who goes into a store, but rather the one who goes in with a gun. I don't know why anyone would expect them to report every death equally.
^ true

News reports on the unusual (if it bleeds it leads). Otherwise it is called a documentary.

The graphic makes it look like people do not pay enough attention to the number one condition that kills people.

Yet, the Mayo Clinic website defines "heart disease" thus:
Heart disease describes a range of conditions that affect your heart. Diseases under the heart disease umbrella include blood vessel diseases, such as coronary artery disease; heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias); and heart defects you're born with (congenital heart defects), among others.

The term "heart disease" is often used interchangeably with the term "cardiovascular disease." Cardiovascular disease generally refers to conditions that involve narrowed or blocked blood vessels that can lead to a heart attack, chest pain (angina) or stroke. Other heart conditions, such as those that affect your heart's muscle, valves or rhythm, also are considered forms of heart disease.

Apparently "heart disease" covers quite a few disparate conditions that can cause death, such as strokes, congenital heart issues, and so on.

Back
Top Bottom