What younger folks can learn from older folks

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Normally, I regard this kind of article as click bait. But for some odd reason I clicked on it anyway. I think it accurately sums up a lot of advice I would give my children.

https://apple.news/ANY1tBJTBQmSxPgllg76QtA

One of my favorites from the list:

27. "Not everything that you disagree with deserves an argument. Pick your battles and let trivial things slide."

I can’t wait to drop these pearls of wisdom on my children and the grands during conversations. They’ll think I’m a genius. [emoji3]

Buzzfeed has quite a few insightful articles like that, amidst a lot of silly click bait.

I'm surprised there's nothing specific about taking care of your teeth. I'd advise young people to budget for regular checkups if they don't have dental insurance, and have a good daily oral health routine of course. There's a big ROI there, IMO!

Nearly 15 years ago, I wrote here a list of things I would tell my then teenaged nephews if I were to advise them on the life ahead of them. I would still say the same thing to young people today.

First, take your victories where you can. Victories are not only those events in our lives typically considered momentous, such as graduations, weddings or births. Rather, each day brings with it the opportunity to succeed in a difficult task, to make a friend or to learn something new. Take time to savor every one of these accomplishments, even if they are small. Not only will your life be enriched at that moment, but you also will build up a reservoir of confidence and happiness to help you make it through the inevitable hard times. In the same vein, be happy now. You need to seize the joys of life along the way, not wait for that mythical “someday” when you will be happy. Because, if you wait, that day will never arrive.

Second, let your defeats roll off you like water from a duck. To live is to strive and to strive is sometimes to fail. You will undoubtedly fail more than once, but that does not make you a failure as a person. When you do fail, take whatever lessons you can from it and then let it go. Dwelling on it will not change the outcome and will only make the rest of your life harder.

Third, be kind to those you meet. There are so many people in this world struggling under terrible loads, most of which we cannot see. Treat everyone with respect and gentleness, try not to judge them, and help them when you can. A smile and a kind word cost you nothing, but may be the very thing someone needs to make it through the day.

Finally, remember that the things you do and the people you meet are more important than the things you have. When you look back on your life, you will almost never remember the various and sundry material things you have possessed. You will, however, remember the people who have shared your life and the experiences you have had together. Do not be afraid to love and trust someone special. Your life will be infinitely the richer for it.

Back
Top Bottom