What's wrong with this story?

I knew lots of families that bought brand new cars for their kids. Mine did, but for my brother. I got the 7 year old full-size Blazer that my dad used for work. I loved it way more than any new car, plus it saved my life in a rollover.

I still have my old Schwinn Hollywood coaster bike with basket in the front. It was a hand-me-down from my older sister. My parents would never have bought us a car as a teenager. I had the advantage of growing up in a steel mill town where no one got a brand new car handed to them as a gift. At least not anyone that I knew. The only kids who drove a car to high school were boys in the shop course who refurbished an old car themselves. My parents did spend money on us of course, but it was for things like piano lessons, the dermatologist, the dentist, and a college savings account.

Mega,

I am not saying this about the couple (like I said I think they were naive and over-confident), regarding "stupid", I like this quote....

"Life is tough but life is tougher if you are stupid."

John Wayne
... there but for the grace of god ...

I still have my old Schwinn Hollywood coaster bike with basket in the front.
My sister had a little Hollywood. I had a Schwinn Stingray with a two-speed "kickback" shifter in the rear hub. It was blue that glowed a cool purple color in the streetlights. Later I had a Schwinn Varsity 10 speed. Both were great bikes--heavy, but very well made. I practically lived on them when I was a kid.

At times I have to wonder if growing up in an environment of at least relative priviledge and material abundance is a handicap. :confused:

There seem to be no end of case studies of people who had their material wants readily satisfied in their youth who seem to be either incapable of economic self sufficiency or unwilling to face up to the reality of changing circumstances.

I'm sure that I am not alone in thinking that there but for some early life experiences and well delivered parental guidance go I......

My point exactly, traineeinvestor.
There is a new study that came out last year (I think it was) that stated that people who successfully join groups like the Navy Seals--know for the hardship they have to endure during testing--come from homes where there was hardship to some degree. It seems that an early life of abuse or deprivation toughens one for the rocky bumps in the road of life. I'll try and see if I can find this and post it as it is really interesting.

I love the "YouTube - Everythings amazing nobodys happy" - seen before and watch regularly.

I think there's an "every other generation" effect:
1. A person works hard and spoils their kids.
2. These kids are spoiled, unsuccessful, and
3. Raise kids who are austere and successful, who
4. Spoil their kids
5. Rinse, lather, repeat

Another example: tattoos.
1. My father's generation had lots of tattoos from wars.
2. My generation said "gosh those are ugly and avoided".
3. My kids generation adopts tattoos, no experience.
4. Their kids will say "gosh those are ugly and will avoid"
5. Rinse, lather, repeat

So we gotta go back to walking around with "donkeys carrying pots on their back" to recover....

Video discovery credit to CFB:confused: The same CFB who hasn't been seen in almost a year?

Back when I w*rked for a living I had a younger guy in my group who had grown up in the ghetto but had a solid middle class home life as an only child who didn't want for too much. One day I saw him at his desk looking at a folder of some crime scene photos that I didn't recognize, so I asked him what was up.

This is my reality folder. It's full of pictures from some of the nastier dope houses I've been in over the years. Every now and then, when I start to feel down on something, I pull it out and just look at them to remind me of how crappy life could be. I can go home and not mind that there are a few dirty dishes in the sink from breakfast, or my neighbors have something that I don't, because it brings me back to reality of how good my life really is.

I had a girlfriend like that in Houston who must be 59 now. Never married. Never had a baby. Never bought a house. Never bought her own car (Daddy bought her Cougars from high school until he died, and now Mother bought her a new Camry--of course, all fully loaded). Never even bought her own furniture for her rented condo. .

We must know the same person except my friend has been married and divorced twice (Dad paid ) . New car fully loaded when she was 56 ( Dad paid ) . New furniture , fence , new appliances , kitchen re-do (Dad paid ).I have no idea what she will do if her parents die and have used up her inheritance on nursing homes because they are getting to that stage .

Some guy will get ahold of my girlfriend and rape her of every dime she has. She won't catch on until she has nothing left. The whole situation is sad to me as I've seen her already be a total fool for some married guy who she worked for...yeah, this is real...FREE for 3 years so she could stay in his office with him at his business. All I want to know is: where do I go to find someone that stupid to clean the house for me now:confused:? I hate cleaning..ha!

Some guy will get ahold of my girlfriend and rape her of every dime she has. She won't catch on until she has nothing left. The whole situation is sad to me as I've seen her already be a total fool for some married guy who she worked for...yeah, this is real...FREE for 3 years so she could stay in his office with him at his business. All I want to know is: where do I go to find someone that stupid to clean the house for me now:confused:? I hate cleaning..ha!

I don't know how long ago this was.... but since she was NOT in his family she can go to the state wage board and get back pay... there IS a minimum wage law....

I do have to admit.... you friend is 'sadder' than mine... at least she only get's screwed over, but never worked for free...

That is mind-boggling! I would have felt like a princess if my (Depression era) parents had even bought me one old used beater car.

That was me. Dad did buy me a car, a 1956 Plymouth, when I was 15. He paid $50 for it and we had to tow it home from the junkyard. I didn't get to drive it until after I replaced the manual transmission in it.

I was just ecstatic to have a car! But I still didn't drive it on a regular basis because he expected me to pay for the gasoline. Life was so hard then....:(

Back
Top Bottom