Where To Go For Christmas?

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This year will not have the family gathered so can travel if I can find someplace 1) Exciting for Christmas (Like Marti Gras in NO or New Year in Pasadena, who does Christmas?) 2) Safe and less important but would be nice to be 3) warm.
Thinking about Cabo or maybe somewhere in Mexico?

3) warm.
?

The thing about S.Fla, yes even as south as the Keys, is you can't guarantee warm or sun in Dec/Jan/Feb, unless you are here for a good 10 days or so. It's not unusual to get a cool colder gray rainy snap that lasts for a few days. Or temps high around the 60's/70's. That might sound warm to most of the US, but it's hardly lying-on-the-beach weather. Odds are it should be decent, but with a short trip it's not hard to run into one of our cool fronts.

Still, December gives you better odds than Jan/Feb - I hate having to put the AC on over xmas but it happens often enough. Just be prepared that it might not be a tropical paradise!

This year will not have the family gathered so can travel if I can find someplace 1) Exciting for Christmas (Like Marti Gras in NO or New Year in Pasadena, who does Christmas?) 2) Safe and less important but would be nice to be 3) warm.

Thinking about Cabo or maybe somewhere in Mexico?

US Virgin Islands are a good option. Warm and Sunny, no risk of not being able to come back to the mainland as scheduled since it’s part of the US.

The thing about S.Fla, yes even as south as the Keys, is you can't guarantee warm or sun in Dec/Jan/Feb, unless you are here for a good 10 days or so. It's not unusual to get a cool colder gray rainy snap that lasts for a few days. Or temps high around the 60's/70's. That might sound warm to most of the US, but it's hardly lying-on-the-beach weather. Odds are it should be decent, but with a short trip it's not hard to run into one of our cool fronts.

Still, December gives you better odds than Jan/Feb - I hate having to put the AC on over xmas but it happens often enough. Just be prepared that it might not be a tropical paradise!
+1 Although I live in the north part of Florida this applies here too. That being said I see folks from northern states and Canada that will sunbathe on the beach and even go swimming. You can tell they aren't from around here by the white skin on day 1 and lobster red on day 2. :D

Cheers!

Christmas in Mexico is a great time to visit, especially the smaller resort towns.

I would not do that trip this year because of the current travel restrictions. You'll need a covid test to return if flying.

we have fond memories of this from the year before Katrina:

Festival of the Bonfires – Cajun Style

You can hotel in NOLA and drive out (or take a paddleboat) for the bonfires. Very fond memories of the gumbo and jambalaya the local VFD prepared. Looks like it has become a much bigger event since then!

I'll have some gumbo please. And some catfish and some oysters and some shrimp and some crawfish Etouffee!

Back
Top Bottom