Where to go in/from Basel, Switzerland?

friar1610

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We will be on a river cruise this fall that terminates in Basel, Switzerland. We will likely spend 3-4 additional nights somewhere in the general vicinity after debarking. What suggestions do you have?

We’re interested in:
- reasonably easy to get to from Basel (max 4-6 hour bus/train ride)
- reasonably easy access back to Zurich (likely departure point back to US)*
- walkable city with typical European city attractions - museums, historic buildings/sites, parks, dining
- staying in same hotel entire time - day trip out of city one day is fine
- maintaining a relaxed/moderate pace rather than being on the go constantly

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

*The smart answer may well be to KISS and just stay in Basel or Zurich.

Last edited:
When we did a river cruise a few years ago that ended in Basel, we went to Luzern for several days. Delightful place, lots to do in the area. And an easy train ride to Zurich when leaving. Of course, we also love Zurich.

I would stay in Interlaken and the from there take day trips by train to:

1- Wengen/Lauterbrunnen one of the most beautiful place on the planet and 30 minutes by train from Interlaken
2- Grindelwald - about 30 minutes by train from Interlaken
3- Lake Brienz - take the boat from Interlaken
4- Lake Thun - take the boat from Interlaken

There is a a lot to see and do just around Interlaken. Most people stay there and do day trips to many of the nearby destinations.

All the suggestions above are fine.... depending on what you want to see. Before I go further, let me just point out that you can almost literally get ANYWHERE in Switzerland in 4-6 hours, so whatever you choose, you'll be fine in that regard. Heck, you can get to Paris by train within those parameters. Distance are short in Europe, and especially in Switzerland.
Anyway, if you prefer to stay in the city and do museums, shopping, nightlife, etc. then, definitely stick with Zürich. Most other places are quite small and will feel "provincial" to someone used to big cities in the US. Basel is actually a decent size and quite nice, BUT, you kind of have to know where to go and what to do, so either you need someone local to guide or you need to do a lot of homework ahead of time. One advantage to Basel: it sits on the Swiss/German/French border (literally), so day trips to Germany or France (I particularly like the nearby medieval town of Colmar). Zürich is very nice - stupendous lake/mountain views on clear days, good museums (Schweizer Landesmuseum, Kunsthaus), nice old town, easy day trips to anywhere in Switzerland.
If you love mountains, hiking, etc, then I second the suggestion of Interlaken as a good choice. Amazing views, right next door to the famous Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau mountains, Swiss heritage open air museum).
I also endorse Luzern as an excellent choice. It is a city/mountain compromise. The city is pretty small (easy to cover in one day), but you have unlimited opportunities for quick day trips to (and up) the nearby mountains. Take a passenger boat on lake Lucerne (Vierwaldstättersee) to the birthplace of Switzerland (the 1291 gathering of the original three Cantons (States). It is called "Rütliwiese" (Rütli meadow) and it is a spot overlooking the lake. Nothing else there, just a great view and historic marker - unless you happen to be there on August 1 (Swiss Independence Day). Many other real nice day trips, for example to Mt. Pilatus or Stanserhorn (both have cable car service, but you can hike them too. Both within a 20 minute train ride of Luzern.

As I said above, if you are willing to travel 4-6 hours, you can get almost anywhere in Switzerland. Even Geneva or Lausanne (both worth a trip) are within reach.

Enjoy!

Forgot to mention that a visit to Mt. Pilatus or Mt. Titlis (both not far from Luzern) are wonderful day trips. The Titlis cable car is kind of amazing -- it rotates 360° while climbing the mountain so everyone gets a view of the entire area. I think it's unique.

Here is a video I created back in 2019 of Switzerland. It should give you an idea of what to expect. In 2019 were there for 8 weeks. While my wife spent time with here parents, I got bored and decided to do some day trips with my camera by car and some with a Swiss Rail (SBB) day pass (Interlaken/Jungfrau region, Lugano, Lucern). We plan to return later this year assuming the COVID restrictions are lifted. We were there back in November/December 2021 and it wasn't that pleasant with all the restrictions.

Basel Switzerland or Basel France? That region looks a little like the Black Forest of Germany and it's flat. I spent the night there once.

I'd catch a train as fast as possible toward Zurich and keep on going to The Alps of Switzerland. Last time we were in Zurich, they rolled up the sidewalks at dark. I'd stay in one centrally located city and do day trips by train or rental car.

Over the last 50 years, we've spent more time in Austria because it's less expensive and there are less governmental regulations (pre pandemic.) It's just easier to travel there--120 miles east of Zurich. The Alps look the same whether it's Austria or Switzerland.

can I assume Viking Amsterdam to Basel?

We had stayed 3 days prior in Amsterdam and then came back from Basel. Was great cruise, enjoy !!!

Here is a video I created back in 2019 of Switzerland. It should give you an idea of what to expect. In 2019 were there for 8 weeks. While my wife spent time with here parents, I got bored and decided to do some day trips with my camera by car and some with a Swiss Rail (SBB) day pass (Interlaken/Jungfrau region, Lugano, Lucern). We plan to return later this year assuming the COVID restrictions are lifted. We were there back in November/December 2021 and it wasn't that pleasant with all the restrictions.

Very nice!

Basel Switzerland or Basel France? That region looks a little like the Black Forest of Germany and it's flat. I spent the night there once.

I'd catch a train as fast as possible toward Zurich and keep on going to The Alps of Switzerland. Last time we were in Zurich, they rolled up the sidewalks at dark. I'd stay in one centrally located city and do day trips by train or rental car.

Over the last 50 years, we've spent more time in Austria because it's less expensive and there are less governmental regulations (pre pandemic.) It's just easier to travel there--120 miles east of Zurich. The Alps look the same whether it's Austria or Switzerland.

Yup. Austria > Switzerland

can I assume Viking Amsterdam to Basel?

We had stayed 3 days prior in Amsterdam and then came back from Basel. Was great cruise, enjoy !!!

Haven’t checked this thread for a while - sorry. Yes, that is cruise. Our first Viking River cruise. Have done 3 Ocean cruises with them.

ETA: we would probably be staying in Amsterdam pre- trip also had we not already been there a couple of times. Great city.

Last edited:

Thank you very much - great video. Sorry for the tardy acknowledgment.

Back
Top Bottom