Where to put cash ?

Snowx800

Recycles dryer sheets
This is for my parents they are 67 dad and 65 mom both get SS and still work part time try have money in a tax deferred account and will full retire in about a year they have $50000 in just a bank savings account where can they put it or part of it for something short term with some return?

This is for my parents they are 67 dad and 65 mom both get SS and still work part time try have money in a tax deferred account and will full retire in about a year they have $50000 in just a bank savings account where can they put it or part of it for something short term with some return?

I mentioned this article Kiplinger.com in another thread (without the reference). I-bonds are limited to $5K each SS# (for paper but another $5K for plastic - oops, I mean through Treasury Direct). That would take up to $20K of the $50K. While not a perfect solution, this might help. Be certain to read the article carefully. It has several caveats to be aware of. I and DW picked up on this (all paper) as we had $10K to stash for a while. YMMV.

Discover Bank is offering 1.15% on FDIC insured savings. Other online banks offer similar rates.

Dollar Bank has a savings account that pays 2% on the first $20,000. You have to have a connected checking account with 6 transactions a month on the checking. You can do all the transactions online but you may have to be in a state where Dollar Bank has branches.

FreeMONEY Savings Account from Dollar Bank in Pittsburgh and Cleveland

Start an application to see if your your parents' location will work.

We got a promo ad in the mail about this that offered a Lowes gift card if you came into a branch. I went and checked it out and opened the accounts. The stickler is that we only pay 7 bills a month and I had to move 6 of them to Dollar Bank. But once I changed everything it all works flawlessly.

Back
Top Bottom