Which party did you vote for in the last 4 Presidential Elections?

A lot has been said recently about right wingers and left wingers dominating the board, rather than

• Republican 4 of 4

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • Republican 3 of 4

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • Split 2 to 2

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Democrat 3 of 4

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Democrat 4 of 4

Votes: 38 40.0%
  • Other party mostly/all

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Did not vote

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
martyb said:
Yeah, and thank God that Al Gore invented the internet or else we'd all be writing this stuff out in longhand & mailing it to each other! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
The laugh icons may be indicating you know this already, but I've always found this particular neo-con spin very interesting. Al Gore, of course, never claimed to have invented the internet. During an interview about his service in Congress, he stated that he "took the initiative to create the internet." While some ambiguity exists in this statement, taken incontext he was simply saying that he provided legislative support to support the internet. Most members of Congress during that time readily admit that Al Gore was a leading proponent of the internet legislation.

FOX news and other Republican biased organizations chose to misquote and misrepresent Al Gore in order to convince voters he was arrogant and untruthful. Amazingly, it worked, and people continue to make fun of Al Gore for a claim he never made. :)

Here's what he said according to snopes:

During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.

Gore's first term in Congress started in 1977. The first 4 nodes of the ARPAnet (internet 1.0) went live in 1969.

I'm sure he did something useful in congress, but I have no idea what it was.

sgeeeee said:
The laugh icons may be indicating you know this already, but I've always found this particular neo-con spin very interesting. Al Gore, of course, never claimed to have invented the internet. During an interview about his service in Congress, he stated that he "took the initiative to create the internet." While some ambiguity exists in this statement, taken incontext he was simply saying that he provided legislative support to support the internet. Most members of Congress during that time readily admit that Al Gore was a leading proponent of the internet legislation.

FOX news and other Republican biased organizations chose to misquote and misrepresent Al Gore in order to convince voters he was arrogant and untruthful. Amazingly, it worked, and people continue to make fun of Al Gore for a claim he never made. :)

OMG!!!!!! Politician's and other groups lie about misquote the other guy to get an advantage... TELL ME IT IS NOT SOOOOOOOO....

Lat 4 elections?:

2004: Bush (Kerry too wishy-washy for me, but a tough call)

2000: Bush (easy choice)

1996: Clinton (worried that Dole would die in office)

1992: Ross Perot (I KNOW I'm not the only one on here)

1988: Bush (no-brainer)

1984: Reagan (no-brainer)

By principle, I am a conservative, more accurately a fiscal conservative. But I am willing to vote Independent, Green, Dem, or Repub, depending on the platform............. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My whole meager voting history............. :p :p

I too voted "Ross for Boss" in both 92 and 96. I liked Clinton's politics, but I could tell he was a sleazebag from the start, and there was no way I could vote Republican. Gore 2000 and Kerry 2004

Texas Proud said:
OMG!!!!!! Politician's and other groups lie about misquote the other guy to get an advantage... TELL ME IT IS NOT SOOOOOOOO....
I guess I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The part I find interesting isn't that one politician is willing to lie about or misquote another. It is that so many people are willing to keep repeating that lie long after the election and even the person's political career is over. Obviously there is no need for Republicans to discredit Al Gore today. There is no danger that he will defeat another politician in an election since he is no longer running for political office. I'm not sure what is gained. :confused: :-\

SG, using a phrase about Al Gore "inventing the internet" is not much different than using the Bush-ism "internets". It's just an EZ bit of comical hilarity to insert in an internet board post.

Kerry on,

Cb :p

Cb said:
SG, using a phrase about Al Gore "inventing the internet" is not much different than using the Bush-ism "internets". It's just an EZ bit of comical hilarity to insert in an internet board post.

Kerry on,

Cb :p
If you say so. All I said is that, "I find it interesting." I also find it interesting that you find it "comical hilarity". :D

I hate to say it, because I hate Al Gore and his anti-gun wife more than this board will allow me to express, but don't count him out yet.

Look at old "Tricky Dick". 8 years between his second trick as VP and finally getting behind the BIG desk.

retiredbop said:
I hate to say it, because I hate Al Gore and his anti-gun wife more than this board will allow me to express, but don't count him out yet.

Look at old "Tricky Dick". 8 years between his second trick as VP and finally getting behind the BIG desk.

And he found himself there only 6 years after getting stomped in the California governator's race...that's when he made the famous

"you won't have Nixon to kick around anymore."
speech.

I think Gore meant he "invested" in the internet...just a minor misspeak. ;)

Robert Kahn is the chairman of the corporation for national research initiatives. Vint Cerf is the father of the original internet protocols. Together they created the internet. Here they talk about Al Gores involvement.

Al Gore and the Internet

By Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf

Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development.

No one person or even small group of persons exclusively "invented" the Internet. It is the result of many years of ongoing collaboration among people in government and the university community. But as the two people who designed the basic architecture and the core protocols that make the Internet work, we would like to acknowledge VP Gore's contributions as a Congressman, Senator and as Vice President. No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution over a longer period of time.

Last year the Vice President made a straightforward statement on his role. He said: "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet." We don't think, as some people have argued, that Gore intended to claim he "invented" the Internet. Moreover, there is no question in our minds that while serving as Senator, Gore's initiatives had a significant and beneficial effect on the still-evolving Internet. The fact of the matter is that Gore was talking about and promoting the Internet long before most people were listening. We feel it is timely to offer our perspective.

As far back as the 1970s Congressman Gore promoted the idea of high speed telecommunications as an engine for both economic growth and the improvement of our educational system. He was the first elected official to grasp the potential of computer communications to have a broader impact than just improving the conduct of science and scholarship. Though easily forgotten, now, at the time this was an unproven and controversial concept. Our work on the Internet started in 1973 and was based on even earlier work that took place in the mid-late 1960s. But the Internet, as we know it today, was not deployed until 1983. When the Internet was still in the early stages of its deployment, Congressman Gore provided intellectual leadership by helping create the vision of the potential benefits of high speed computing and communication. As an example, he sponsored hearings on how advanced technologies might be put to use in areas like coordinating the response of government agencies to natural disasters and other crises.

As a Senator in the 1980s Gore urged government agencies to consolidate what at the time were several dozen different and unconnected networks into an "Interagency Network." Working in a bi-partisan manner with officials in Ronald Reagan and George Bush's administrations, Gore secured the passage of the High Performance Computing and Communications Act in 1991. This "Gore Act" supported the National Research and Education Network (NREN) initiative that became one of the major vehicles for the spread of the Internet beyond the field of computer science.

As Vice President Gore promoted building the Internet both up and out, as well as releasing the Internet from the control of the government agencies that spawned it. He served as the major administration proponent for continued investment in advanced computing and networking and private sector initiatives such as Net Day. He was and is a strong proponent of extending access to the network to schools and libraries. Today, approximately 95% of our nation's schools are on the Internet. Gore provided much-needed political support for the speedy privatization of the Internet when the time arrived for it to become a commercially-driven operation.

There are many factors that have contributed to the Internet's rapid growth since the later 1980s, not the least of which has been political support for its privatization and continued support for research in advanced networking technology. No one in public life has been more intellectually engaged in helping to create the climate for a thriving Internet than the Vice President. Gore has been a clear champion of this effort, both in the councils of government and with the public at large.

The Vice President deserves credit for his early recognition of high speed computing and communication and for his long-term and consistent articulation of the potential value of the Internet to American citizens and industry and, indeed, to the rest of the world.

And if you made it through that...

Top Ten Other Achievements Claimed By Al Gore

10. Was first human to grow an opposable thumb

9. Only man in world to sleep with someone named "Tipper"

8. Current Vice President - Moesha fan club

7. He invented the dog

6. While riding bicycle one day, accidentally invented the orgasm

5. Pulled U.S. out of early 90's recession by personally buying 6,000 T-shirts

4. Starred in CBS situation comedy with Juan Valdez, "Juan for Al, Al for Juan"

3. Was inspiration for Ozzy Osboune song "Crazy Train"

2. Came up with popular catchphrase "Don't go there, girlfriend"

1. Gave mankind fire